Changing My Pup's Diet

Wing

I have been feeding my 14 weeks old westie dry food since I got him back home. He was doing great, poos are brown and solid, I assume they are healthy. Recently I found that he started eating his own poo. I told my friend and she told me that maybe he is not digesting his food well, I should start changing his diet to a better one. I have gotten the Artemis puppy meal, and now I am wondering how to I change his diet, because I have heard that changing his diet totally would cause diarrhoea.

Should I mix the new one I bought with the old one, and slowly put in less of the old one?? and up til when should I totally switch to the new one?

I have also read about feeding him raw food so that he can digest better. So he might stop eating his own poo. I need some advice with the raw food, I really don't know what should I feed him with on the raw diet. I saw some DOLers suggested food like chicken neck, back etc... does that mean with bones? or boneless? I have never feed my dogs with raw food before.

Edited by Wing

Hi,

I have a Westie, and when she was younger, she used to eat her poo too. I think it may be a stage, a yukky one though!!.

With changing the dry food, I think you should introduce the new food slowly, ie mix with the original.

Pop into the Westie page and say hello, or even better post a photo we love photos.!!

Ally :) :)

I have a 5.5MTH Westie Pup...

I was feeding him 100% Eukanuba Biscuits, then decided I wanted to throw in some Barf Raw pattie, so just slowly did it, like Ally mentioned but I worked up to 50%Euk and 50% Barf Patties.

Some days if im bad and forget to defrost his patties he goes 100% Euk, and other days I feed him 50% Euk and 50% Barf Patties... He now has a tolerance for both foods.

I also throw in some natural yoghurt at times, and even have been giving him bits of carrot

Come visit us in the westie forum here http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...p;#entry3303279

Because your dog eats poo doesn't mean the diet is incorrect. Some just like doing it.

If you add about 2 tablespoons of unsweetened pineapple juice to the meal it will stop them from eating the poo.

Don't ask me why it works but it does.

Hi I have a 6.5 month old Westie. Theyre awesome huh

I feed her mostly raw food. I usually buy some mince, chunks of beef, steak & kidney mixture, steaks or whatever and then mix it with some processed veggies. I also give her chicken wings, chicken necks, lamb shanks or the bone from a lamb roast (its cooked but doesnt splinter). I also add some calcium to her food. Sometimes I cook the mince mixture just for something different.

Probably best to change the food over slowly.

If you have a problem with runny or hard poops when you change it, add some pumpkin and that should help in either situation (i read that on here one day). Goodluck