Revisiting Titre Testing Thread

I just came across this thread. I 1st became aware of over vaccination about 6 yrs ago. I heard a holistic vet give a talk on the subject. At that time she said there hadn't been any proper research done but she believed that vac's could last up to 7 yrs but to be safe said 3 yrs. She mentioned having titres done but they had to be sent to USA. A member at my obedience club had a very itchy, allergic pom that she took to this vet & the titres cost her $60 per vac. Her dog was covered.

April was around 9 at the time & I stopped giving her annual vac. especially after 2 ppl I knew with older dogs lost them following vac, & they warned me against it. My vet sent me their ann. reminder & then another. When I didn't take April in for her ann vac. my vet rang me & asked me why. I explained the above & after much twoing & froing he said he thought vaccinations lasted for 3 yrs except for kennel cough which lasted for 6 mths. But he kept to the ann. vac because that would be too hard for some pet owners to remember.

It's been 14 mths since anyone posted on this thread, has there been any further advances re: vaccination protocals?

I wasn't allowed to post on the titre thread so I started another.

i too have read only recently about this testing..

but was told many years ago by 2 seperate vets that at the ages my dogs were about 8 or 9 back then.. that they they wouldn't need any more as long as they had been given all puppy shots and a few after that...

as it is.. one of those dogs is now 17.5yrs and in the last few years when i started fostering i got paranoid and wanted her vaccinated again.. although i have stopped now that i have found out how detrimental it could be to the old chook...

pxx

Older dogs seem to have sufficient protection, and there seems to be evidence that vaccinating older dogs can cause problems. Many dogs seem to develop lymphomas soon after vacs.

If you are concerned, have the titre test done, rather than vaccinate. Quite a lot of vets will now take bloods, and send it away to be tested. Just check around for prices, as some are quite expensive. I would rather spend the money on the test, to ensure the dog was protected, than simply vaccinate. Too many risks.

After reading about titre testing and vaccinations late last year here on DOL I decided to follow it up with my vet.

My ridgy girl started to develop allergies at about 12months old. Lots of gastro-intestinal upsets and itchy feet and chin. It drove me crazy - I couldnt put my finger on what it was that was upsetting her. After some blood tests the vet suggested that she had an allergy/intolerance to a protein of some sort. So we started her on an diet of RC vege-protein kibble. She was on this alone for about two months and didnt have the runs or vomit in this time. We then introduced lamb mince to her diet which she tolerated as well. Since then I reintroduced real veges, found a lamb based WA made kibble and she is going fairly well. I have also jsut recently introduced chicken again - wings, and this morning for the first time in a long time they had a chicken carcass for brekky!!

Anyway - got a bit side tracked there :cool: , sorry.........After quizzing my vet about vaccinations, she was very agreeable to doing the titre test rather than vaccinating, agreeing that over vaccinating is a problem.

(She is also a big believer in raw feeding, chinese herbs and bowen - ah, my dream vet!)

The titres for Zola came back beautiful, 1:80 for both Parvo & Distemper, and 226 for adenovirus (whats this one again?)

So I will be interested to see how she goes over the next few years with her allergies/intolerences. I will keep introducing different foods to her very slowly. At the moment she will only be on lamb and chicken. Next will be fish, then beef, then roo.

Even though Wandy has shown no signs of anything, I will get her titres done next year rather than vaccinating.

One thing that I would be interested in is what clubs, etc., think of titres rather than vaccs, and is it going to be allowable to show titre results instead of vacc cards when you join dog clubs? One club I went to here werent concerned about vaccinations - saying that holding their training on public grounds meant there could be anything there disease wise anyway, which kind of made sense to me. But what about State organisations that hold official comps??

Rat

PS. Sorry if I dont come across as very articulate, but writing down my thoughts isnt one of my strong points :hug::)