Walking On The Lead

jedi knight

My 15 week old english bullterrier has decided to not walk on the lead i have to use treats to get him going but on the return trip to home he is perfect i am thinking i need to get him out and about more am i right

My boy was exactly like this, he would walk a few houses down and then stop, wouldnt even pay attention to treats, the only direction he would go is back home.

He looked scared so I just gave him a few weeks, he's now around 5 months and loves his walks.

You shouldn't really be walking your pup untill he has had his last puppy vaccination at 16 weeks.

I thought it was the 12 week shots that you needed to make sure that pup had -provided you wait at least 7 days - so 13 weeks. :wave:

As long s you're not walking him in a dog park and not letting him sniff poo, he should be fine. Getting out and socializing is critical to his well being.

At this age, walks should be short (my vet says max 15 mins) and interesting (let him sniff around, stop if he gets tired etc).

If you over exercise him now, you will be up for some pretty hefty vet bills later on

I started walking my pup on the lead from 8 weeks of age....just little short walks down the driveway and back at first to get her used to the lead, then further afield as she grew bigger and more confident.

Maybe get him used to walking somewhere close by that's interesting and fun for him so that he cmes to associate the walk with a positive experience when you get where you're going. Even just to the corner, produce a toy he likes, have a little game then put the toy away and walk home again.

My 15 week old english bullterrier has decided to not walk on the lead i have to use treats to get him going but on the return trip to home he is perfect i am thinking i need to get him out and about more am i right

He could be going through a fear development period, so he is not so keen to leave the house, and very keen to get home again. K9-force has a thread posted on the puppydevelopment periods, and believes that things can go very wrong if you push a pup while he is fearful. I agree with this too. Have a look at the thread here. It sounds like you might need to keep your pup at home for a while till he is ready to explore again.

Well it all back fired at the benalla show if would not walk on the lead again to much going on for him oh well ill have to keep working with him

yeah but a show is so different to walking around a familiar area. Use rewards at the next few shows. Pay the pup for a job well done. Don't fret too much, but if you really want to, try driving some where in the car, get out, go for a little walk, then go home.

I had to carry my 12 week old greyhound pup all over the place the first couple of shows and she was good on lead. They soon learn.