Elbow Dysplasia - Anybody With Experience?

Hi everybody,

My 11 month old RR x apparently has mild ED in one of his legs.

This is the first time I've encountered this in my own dog. His diet is sound and he is on JointGuard as well, doesn't overdo it etc. I've covered all the usual discussion items with the vet but I'm just wondering how anybody else out there manages this condition? At this stage I'm just trying to become as widely informed as possible so that I can help him as much as possible.

Any suggestions or further reading would be most welcome. :)

Sorry to hear that P4T,

There is not a lot you can do other than no hooning or jumping for the dog or anything else considered high impact ...such as ball chasing etc. Swimming is okay though because the water is carrying the dogs body weight. Other than this...you could try various supplements that help the bones and joints etc.

Uh, no hooning should be an interesting one to enforce at his age. Fortunatley I find my RRs are inherently lazy so that should work in his favour.

While on the topic of swimming, can anybody recommend a suitable place in SEQ (I'm in S/W suburbs but will travel a bit) for me to take him swimming? Be it a dedicated "therapy" thing for our best friends or somewhere I can wade with him?

BTW Tapferhund, nice signature :)

Ah well, the details were all confirmed at the vet this morning. Mild ED in both forelegs. Poor little guy. Got some info on hydro options too which is great.

Still interested to hear anybody else's tips if they've had dogs with ED. :laugh: Maybe soon I'll have some of my own to share, the vet will be posting me some information on proposed life long treatment plans etc :love:

Wish I could wrap him in cotton wool and keep him safe forever!

Uh, no hooning should be an interesting one to enforce at his age. Fortunatley I find my RRs are inherently lazy so that should work in his favour.

While on the topic of swimming, can anybody recommend a suitable place in SEQ (I'm in S/W suburbs but will travel a bit) for me to take him swimming? Be it a dedicated "therapy" thing for our best friends or somewhere I can wade with him?

BTW Tapferhund, nice signature :laugh:

there is a pool at greenbank, website attached

www.caninehydrotherapy.com.au

Do you have the numbers from X-rays?

Mild ED commonly translates to a score of 2 . . . which isn't pretty on the Xray but often shows no clinical signs (ie, no limping), especially if the dog is kept lean.

In any case, keep the dog on the underweight side and encourage muscle development that will compensate for joint weakness -- swimming is great. Excercise on soft sand is also good. Stay away from running on hard surfaces, jumping, and exercise that is likely to involve twisting at a running pace -- eg, fetch.

Edited by sandgrubber

I had a neo a few years ago that had ED and the vet gave her 1 shot of cathropan sp?? and she never limped again, i keep in contact with her new owners and she has still not limped once in over 2 years, vet still cant believe it :o