Heart Murmur Diagnosis

4 Paws

While at the vets the other day for their annual vaccanations my almost 6 year old shepherd was diagnosised with a heart murmur.

Vet didn't go into much detail other than saying he'd note it and keep an eye on it and to let them know if she starts coughing etc

Is there any other information I need to be aware of when owning a dog with a heart murmur in regard to exercise etc

While at the vets the other day for their annual vaccanations my almost 6 year old shepherd was diagnosised with a heart murmur.

Vet didn't go into much detail other than saying he'd note it and keep an eye on it and to let them know if she starts coughing etc

Is there any other information I need to be aware of when owning a dog with a heart murmur in regard to exercise etc

Hi 4 paws, so sorry to hear about your boy. I'd be looking at further testing. Here's a great website that may answer some of your questions Home care tips for dogs with congestive heart failure

Jessie, my previous Bull Terrier had Dilated Cardiomyopathy. I've got lots of heart disease links on her webpage http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Estates/5493/links.html

You will need to reduce the sodium in your boy's diet. Jessie was on a BARF (Bones and Raw Food) diet for most of her life, so cutting down on salt wasn't a problem.

As well as the heart drugs I gave vitamins and supplements to Jessie, such as Co Enzyme Q10, Salmon Oil, Hawthorn, L-Carnitine, Taurine, Magnesium, vitamins A, B, C and E.

If I can be of further assistance to you please don't hesitate to contact me. Heart Disease is really horrible and you may be in for a roller coaster ride.

Low grade murmurs can also be temporary "transient murmurs"......being in season, pregnant, in stress, on certain medications, for a start.........

Care for murmurs...Coenzyme Q10, Vit E, Ester C,fish oil, and no further vaccinations.

Thankyou for your suggestions

She's not stressed in season or on any medications

She normally gets a fish oil supplement and I'd just started her on flaxseed oil,used to get vit c but recently run out.Is fed Artemis Adult plus chicken carcass/bones etc

Am mainly concerned about the amount of exercise she should receive.We've recently started agility,while its not full on at the moment it will eventually get there.She normally just receives a 1/2-1 hour walk a day and normally very lazy the rest of the time

Edited by 4 Paws

Low grade murmurs can also be temporary "transient murmurs"......being in season, pregnant, in stress, on certain medications, for a start.........

Care for murmurs...Coenzyme Q10, Vit E, Ester C,fish oil, and no further vaccinations.

Sorry to hijack but....Cavandra, I have a 5 1/2 year old Cavalier that has a 1/2 grade right apical heart murmer with no clinical signs and was wondering what dosage and what brand of the CoEnzme Q10 could I use?

Sorry to hijack but....Cavandra, I have a 5 1/2 year old Cavalier that has a 1/2 grade right apical heart murmer with no clinical signs and was wondering what dosage and what brand of the CoEnzme Q10 could I use?

Cheapest brand you can find as it is dear!, give her half per day (capsules, so prick it & squirt), with no vaccs, no junk, excersise, Vit e, & Ester C the most important thing! May never progress who knows, but dogs on commercial diets & over vaccinated (ie yearly) will progress.....

Cheapest brand you can find as it is dear!, give her half per day (capsules, so prick it & squirt), with no vaccs, no junk, excersise, Vit e, & Ester C the most important thing! May never progress who knows, but dogs on commercial diets & over vaccinated (ie yearly) will progress.....

Thanks for the info. I haven't vaccinated her for a couple of years and had her titre tested in August 08. She has 2 walks a day and is on a mostly raw diet with bones twice per week.

With the Vitamin E how much for that? I tried Vitamin C and it gave her the runs. Is Ester C more easily absorbed? She also has HD and I tried the Vitamin C because of that.

TIA

Great advice from everyone here; I had a chihuahua that was diagnosed with a heart murmur at the age of 6, she went on to live to the grand old age of !7 years; a heart murmur does not always indicate a shorter lifespan...of course, it depends on the severity of the murmur.

Thanks for the info. I haven't vaccinated her for a couple of years and had her titre tested in August 08. She has 2 walks a day and is on a mostly raw diet with bones twice per week.

With the Vitamin E how much for that? I tried Vitamin C and it gave her the runs. Is Ester C more easily absorbed? She also has HD and I tried the Vitamin C because of that.

TIA

Ester C is completely different to plain Vit C.......Vit C is not absorbed readily & passes straight through the body, High doses will cause the runs, and high dosage is what you need.......Ester C is in a different structure, & is designed to be absorbed, and doesnt cause the runs......All my dogs get it as youngsters, and then daily as seniors, as it is brilliant for lubricating the joints also..........Vit E would be 1 capsule & fish oil 1 capsule will do too.......Coenzyme Q10 you can probably get cheaper online at Vitamin King or Natural City ( I get my Ester C here).otherwise a Chemist that has their "homebrand" should aslo have it cheaper than most known brands.

Thanks Cavandra. Would you be able to tell me ,or advise where to go to find out, how much Ester C I would need to give my girl? Does it go by weight? Powder or tablets? And if she's on Jointguard and Traumeel, would I keep her on these too? So may questions :laugh:

Edited by CavsRcute

Thanks Cavandra. Would you be able to tell me ,or advise where to go to find out, how much Ester C I would need to give my girl? Does it go by weight? Powder or tablets? And if she's on Jointguard and Traumeel, would I keep her on these too? So may questions :)

I would give her 1 tablet a day, if she wasnt on Jointguard she could probably go 1-2 per day...625mg tabs....the online places I posted previously usually have them cheaper than Health Food shops, half price, especially if you buy in bulk......I buy 5 bottles at a time usually when they are on sale.......