Chihuahua Question?

moggy

How much do you feed your Chihuahua a day?

I am at my wits end trying to reduce the weight of Sophie. She doesn't really eat much. About 2/3 cup of a mixture of dry and fresh. I have cut her down from about 1 cup.

We got another Chi from a breeder last Sunday and she has been racing around and getting much more exercise than before so I am hoping she will lose weight.

Any other suggestions?

What exactly is she eating?

I would say 1 big chicken neck or two little ones and a tablespoon of veggie slops would be more then enough for Chi. I fyou were feedin a pure BARF/RAW diet then 1% to 2% of her ideal weight per day.

How many snacks and treats does she get during the day? How many do you not know about that other family members are giving her?

I am now feeding her what the breeder suggested. A little Optimum Healthy Weight Management and mixture of chicken necks, mince and egg. Altogether she would have about 2/3 cup of this at around 5pm. I offer her a tiny bit of the dry food in the morning but she is not interested so have stopped it. We have cut out any extra treats and I have threatened my husband if he gives her a tidbit from the table. We have started this since Monday.

When we got our little Huey on Sunday I was stunned at the difference in their weight so am really determined to get hers down.

Mind you, they (Sophie and your new chi) might just have different builds...

Bonnie is the short-legged, stocky variety of chi, and from what I can see of Sophie in your signature, she looks to be too.

Here is Bonnie for info:

post-14922-1231580421_thumb.jpg post-14922-1231580439_thumb.jpg

She would have to be half starved (and very unhappy!) to get really slim. Her breeder has some chis who are really slender, just naturally.

Hi Miss Helena. When we got Sophie we saw her mother and grandparents and the breeder told me her grandmother is always on a diet because she is inclined to put on weight. I think it is genetic, but I don't want Sophie to become ill or develop bad joints because of her weight. Here are a couple of photos taken today.

HUEY016.jpg?t=1231583273

HUEY015.jpg?t=1231583319

Adding more vegies sounds good... My dalmatian can only eat 1 cup of dry a day or she becomes pudgy, but with raw meat and vegies she can have a lot more and still stay slim. She's a pig so the more food she gets the happier she is.

Hee hee, Bonnie has gotten up to 4kg once too - that is too heavy for her size (she really did look fat at 4!) Perhaps Sophie is a tad bigger chi?

Bonnie is currently about 3.6-3.8. Not too bad, tho 3.5 or a bit less would be better.

It makes me laugh to read/hear about chis that are 1.5-2kg - that is so tiny and frail.

My Mort is a chubby bum and built similar to Bonnie and Sophie. My Arnie is a skinny bum and is very similar to your Huey.

They get a chicken neck or wing each day and a couple of small dried turkey treats during the day. When we have kibble, they have 1 cup between them per day and a small chicken neck each. If I buy chicken frames, I cut it into quarters and they have 1/4 of a frame each.

They always have some type of raw meaty bone for their meal and they graze on the kibble for a while but it usually lasts about 1 hour.

'scuse Arnie's photo, he had an op on his hip

Kepala13-4-08-48.jpg

Kepala13-4-08-71.jpg

Hi Kosti!

That's what I was talking about - two different builds altogether, even though they get similar meals. Bit like people I suppose. :laugh:

Is Arnie's hip okay? Sounds a bit serious :laugh:

Edited to add: you can also see the difference in leg length between your two Kosti.

Edited by Miss Helena

Hey Miss H! :laugh:

yeh there is two different chihuahua builds. Short and chunky or lean. I call Mort my little staffie because he is built very much like one lol

I went to a show once with my boys to see the chi's. Arnie is 2.5kgs and he towered over the show dogs. Mort is 4.9kgs and taller than Arnie and twice his weight even though they eat the same and I try to give Arnie the larger bone or a little more mince.

When Mort was 6 weeks old, he was 1.1kg, when Arnie was 12 weeks old he was 1.2kgs so Mort will always be larger than Arnie. Mort has a little waist and I can feel his ribs but he is just a big build. I would like to put some weight on Arnie because he looks frail but he is very strong and happy, doesn't shake so I will just keep feeding the way I feed.

eta: yeh Arnie's hip is healing ok. He uses it most of the time now even when running. I think the swimming has really improved it :laugh:

Edited by kosti