Ear Cleaning

paddles

I have two english springer spaniels, and they are constantly wet in this warm weather (they have a wading pool) and I am concerned that one will gett an ear infection again (we've had one once before) a friend told me, that black gunk in the ear does not necessarily mean that they have an infection, and that I should just sqirt some epi-optic into thier ears, however the vet told me when fred had his infection, that excessive cleaning (I do them once a week, just wipingout the accessable parts) can cause infections,a and that the ears are pretty well self cleaning (I'm not putting this right) She said what I do is fine, but that I shouldn't be squirting cleanner into the ears. I've just had a big vet bill (Grass seed) and am reluctant to trot back to the vet if I can avoid it, Mind you, if I think that she definately does have an infection, we will trot off to the vets quick smart, I'm just not certain that she does have an infection. she is not shaking her head, or scratching at her ears, they don't smell bad (Or worse than usual, but my sense of smell is unreliable) but there appears to be black gunk in them (I've cleaned them this morning)

any suggestions?

my dogs get black gunk but its from all the fine dust around and they roll in it. Its in their coats as well.

If they're not scratching then dont clean too often. I use unscented baby wipes to clean the outer ear, which is where most of the dirt and wax is going to be. I dont use ear cleaners, when I did I used Epi-Otic but that was more to help flush the ears out when they all decided to roll in the dirt one day.

There are some spaniel people around with better advice then me I dont have hairy eared dogs :mad Mine are fairly wash and wear :cry:

I also believe that a dogs ear is self cleaning. I don't clean my clients dogs ears unless they are excessive. I had alot of dogs come to me with terrible ears and since then they've had no problems. People go over the top.

As a maintenance I just use Malaseb and water, however I don't flush the ear. I just gently wipe with a cotton ball.

I wipe out my dogs' ears with Malaseb diluted 1:30 with water when they have a bath which is every couple of weeks. I never flush out the ears and haven't had any ear problems for many years. I also remove any hair growing inside the ears as well as clipping around the outside.