Paper In Puppy Pen

dogon

Stoopid question :thumbsup:

....how can I stop my pup from massacring his paper that I've put down as his toilet. He loves to shred it despite the fact that he has a bone and about 4 other tasty treats about the place hidden in plastic bottles and kongs. He does it whether I've left him for an hour or 5 hours.

If it's a bordom thing...well so be it...but what would be a good alternative toilet? :thumbsup: I've read that puppy pads are easy to chew up too.

What do people do?

I use newspaper - they do chew up puppy pads, and newspaper is cheaper!! You can use vet bed or something similar, but imho, that encourages them to go to the toilet on carpet, or clothes on the floor later!! Frustrating, eh? :thumbsup:

When our guy (14 weeks old) does that we say "No!" very sternly and stuff one of his toys in his mouth, if he starts playing with that then we praise him. He's hardly doing it now, but occasionally has a relapse. We find that he mainly does it when there's a wind blowing and a corner of the paper flaps in the breeze. Is there any way you can weigh it down?

I always avoided using newspaper for toilet training etc as I usually have newspapers around the house - ie on couch, beside couch or on/ beside bed etc. If pup learnt it was ok to pee or chew paper then there was a chance this was be transferred across to any newspaper in the house and I did not want this to happen. Instead I used pee pads. I found you could get these in the Discount Shop for a lot cheaper and did the job even for a large breed.

It also meant that when he was a puppy and I took him somewhere, I could take a pad and he knew that was the place to go.

I have the same problem with my 10 week old Silky Terrier X. He just loves ripping up everything I put down for him to use as a toilet. I started with the pads and have moved to newspaper but he rips it all up. I even made a toilet by sticking some fake grass to a large container lid and slipping the pads and newspaper in underneath the fake grass but he just uses that as a bed and chews on it aswell and has chosen another spot to wee on! So far we are really getting nowhere with our toilet training!

I have heard of people using kitty litter as dogs dont like to chew this up and wont confuse it with carpet like they can with fake grass. I'm thinking of giving it a go. Has anyone else tried this?

I have heard of people using kitty litter as dogs dont like to chew this up and wont confuse it with carpet like they can with fake grass. I'm thinking of giving it a go. Has anyone else tried this?

We are using a tray of sand for our puppy to toilet on. I've heard kitty litter can be bad for them if they decide to swallow it, but I think you can get special puppy litter.

The sand works really well, its cheap and easy to scoop up, also doesn't smell.

We are using a tray of sand for our puppy to toilet on. I've heard kitty litter can be bad for them if they decide to swallow it, but I think you can get special puppy litter.

The sand works really well, its cheap and easy to scoop up, also doesn't smell.

I was going to ask about the eating kitty litter thing. If my Max manages to zip through the baby gate before I do, he makes a bee line for the cats' litter boxes and starts eating the tracked litter that's on the floor. He hasn't so far showed any interest in the actual litter box or its, er, 'contents'. Just the bits of litter that flick off the cats' paws when they exit the boxes.

One of my cats ate litter as a kitten and I asked the vet about it then. He said it wasn't a problem for them to eat a small amount of it. The cat stopped doing it once he got a bit older, but even now, at 10 years old, he does occasionally chomp on a stray piece that's on the floor...

It also meant that when he was a puppy and I took him somewhere, I could take a pad and he knew that was the place to go.

That's what I find with the training pads. I can take Max anywhere and he knows where the toilet is - makes life SO much easier than being on constant high alert that he's going to pee on someone else's carpet!!!

Living in a flat, I'll always use the training pads. You mentioned a discount store where you can buy them relatively cheaply - would you mind giving me the name of the store? Puppy pads can get really expensive - when Max had a reaction to his worming tablet and had bad diarrhea for a week, I went throught about 30 of them!!!