Advance Has Changed Its Kibble Size?

My Bullmastiff has reached the age where I can buy "adult" dog food for him. I have just done that - buying the large/giant breed Advance bag . When I opened it, instead of the little-ish pellets, there were these huge biscuits at least a couple of centimetres wide! My computer is mucking about so I can't get on the Advance site - so when did this happen?

I usually feed the kibble softened with water and with mince and veggies so it is not too much of a drama there, but sometimes I just like to chuck him a handfull. I can't do that with these though because he hoovers them down without chewing them (very surprising considering their size) and that just cannot be good for him! :mad

Has anyone else noticed this and does it bother you too? Looks like I might be on the lookout for a new kibble!

but you have a bullmastiff? Its really good for bigger dogs to have bigger kibble to chew properly rather than swallow or choke on little bit in big mouthfulls. I rather larger peices. Dont be worried about chucking him it dry, its great for his teeth anyway.

My dogs often gag on optimum cos its too small.. Advance was good.

I've yet to get a bag of Adult advance, but would all their kibble have been the one size. Maybe the small kibble was that size due to it being for puppies, and now that you have the adult bag its

changed to adult size.

but you have a bullmastiff? Its really good for bigger dogs to have bigger kibble to chew properly rather than swallow or choke on little bit in big mouthfulls. I rather larger peices. Dont be worried about chucking him it dry, its great for his teeth anyway.

My dogs often gag on optimum cos its too small.. Advance was good.

When I opened the bag and saw the kibble size I did think that it was great because he does tend to eat too fast and I thought the size would slow him down. It doesn't!! He doesn't chew them - he swallows them whole! No teeth used during the process at all! :rolleyes: Seriously cannot be good for him to do that!

I have bought the adult about a year ago (mistakenly bought instead of the puppy one) and it was the same size as the puppy. That was why I got such a shock it had changed so radically.

When I opened the bag and saw the kibble size I did think that it was great because he does tend to eat too fast and I thought the size would slow him down. It doesn't!! He doesn't chew them - he swallows them whole! No teeth used during the process at all! :rolleyes: Seriously cannot be good for him to do that!

I am currently feeding Uncle Albers which is a larger size kibble and my border collies hardly chew it at all, no problems here with that. I also feed a majority raw diet and if you saw the size of some of the chunks of bone or meat they break off and gulp down without chewing you would die of shock, kibble if a few cm is nothing in comparison. 1 of my old BC boys with lamb hearts used to basically break them in half and swallow in 2 mouthfuls!! :rofl:

More concern to me would be the fact he is not getting any good chewing for teeth cleaning benefits than the damage it could do swallowing it whole.

Edited by piper

erhaps the last bag you bought that was adult, wasn't for giant breeds?? It is normal for kibble siz to increase depending on which size range you buy.

Feeding the food soaked does encorage a dog to eat fast and not need to chew anything.

Royal Canin make a Giant Breed kibble adult formula. Its about the quarter of the size of my palm and even my most notorious swallower HAD to chew it! Goes a long way as well and even my Dogue could chew them happily.

ETA soaked food lets them hoover it. WHat does he get for his teeth? He needs to chew in order to maintain his oral health. I find for that face shape chicken carcasses are the best as every tooth gets a good work out.

Edited by Nekhbet

I will have to do some more checking out of the Advance range - you all may be right and I may have previously picked up the wrong bag. Or maybe there is such thing as a Large breed bag and a separate Large/giant breed one? I will have another scout out this weekend.

I chucked him some more of the kibble before and it is just mind blowing the way he just swallows it! It must scratch going down :mad I was more worried about bloat if he swallows this stuff and then has a drink and it swells to much in his stomach. Is that possible?

I am not worried about his teeth - he gets bones from the butcher and his teeth are sparkly white! I work in the dental industry and that is one thing I keep an eye on - no fear there! The butcher I buy my bones from always gives me a look because I only buy bones - never meat! I only get the cheap stuff for us from the supermarket - the dogs eat better than we do LOL :confused:

He does tend to eat fast but I slow him down by having chunks in it - or stopping him for a break (sit, down etc) halfway through. My last dog was so bad I used to put a heavy ball thing in the middle so she had to eat around it. Used to slow her down heaps.

I will have to do some more checking out of the Advance range - you all may be right and I may have previously picked up the wrong bag. Or maybe there is such thing as a Large breed bag and a separate Large/giant breed one? I will have another scout out this weekend.

I chucked him some more of the kibble before and it is just mind blowing the way he just swallows it! It must scratch going down :cheer: I was more worried about bloat if he swallows this stuff and then has a drink and it swells to much in his stomach. Is that possible?

I am not worried about his teeth - he gets bones from the butcher and his teeth are sparkly white! I work in the dental industry and that is one thing I keep an eye on - no fear there! The butcher I buy my bones from always gives me a look because I only buy bones - never meat! I only get the cheap stuff for us from the supermarket - the dogs eat better than we do LOL :)

He does tend to eat fast but I slow him down by having chunks in it - or stopping him for a break (sit, down etc) halfway through. My last dog was so bad I used to put a heavy ball thing in the middle so she had to eat around it. Used to slow her down heaps.

Some Preventative measures for Bloat:

* Feed the dog alone, in a quiet area.

* Split the daily diet in two meals a day, in order to avoid the stomach to be too much dilated.

* Choose a high digestible diet that will be distributed in smaller quantities compared to an ordinary food.

* Choose a food presented in large croquettes, in order to slow down the ingestion. An object put in the middle of the plate can act the same way, because, it obliges the dog to turn around to be able to eat.

* Slightly rehydrate the food before feeding.

* Respect a 2 hour resting period after each meal. Physical activity when the stomach is full can make it move. Moreover, stress inhibites the emptying of the stomach.

Also there are these bowls available at the following links which will slow down their eating.

http://dogpause.com.au/catalog/Products-3-1.html

http://www.petsplus.com.au/pet-shop.asp?id=1437

I have ordered some from dogpause.com.au for my Labradors, two of which eat extremely fast, one of these fast eaters has already had bloat, prior to me adopting him and has had a gastropexy, but I am very conscious of bloat and try to follow the above preventative measures, particularly feeding dogs separately so they don't feel compelled to eater faster :cheer: and I also feed two meals a day to ensure they do not get one big meal. I also limit their water intake after meals as one of them (the fastest eater) also has a drinking problem :cheer: I also never exercise them for at least 1-2 hrs before and after their meals.

It sounds like you were originally feeding the Puppy Rehydratable which is for puppies up to 6 months, the kibble are little rough pellets.

Naturally, kibble for large/giant breeds is designed for these size breeds. I feed Advance to all of mine and they dont chew it either. I add water to it and it slows them down a bit.

You purchased the Adult Large/Giant Breed DENTAL which is large kibble. If you are concerned, purchase the Adult Chicken which is also for large breeds, small breed adults get Turkey and Rice.

Hope this cleared it up for you :laugh:

I got the Advance Adult - Large breed bag just before Xmas- it had the larger pieces. I only got it because Petstock had run out of the 20kg bag sizeof the all breeds one. Normally I just get the Adult All breeds chicken one- it has the smaller kibble.

The all breeds is suggested for dogs up to 25kg. Large breeds for dogs above 25kg.

Hope that helps.