Puppy Walking

Mini_M

Hi all,

We've just started taking our 14 week old toy poodle for short walks down the road. Initially he was a bit scared of everything, but now he comes along quite happily... but with one small issue.

About every 20 meters or so he will just stop and plonk his bottom down and not move for about 30 seconds. He'll just sit there looking at us. During this time he wont be budged. After a short while he'll start up again and we're off down the road.

Is this just him getting tired and wanting a rest? Or is he being stubborn and telling us to wait here until he wants to move off again. If he's tired then I'm happy to let him rest every short while, but I just want to know if this is a dominance issue that we should be trying to break early.

thanks!

We initially thought that but then our vet indicated that it should be ok to take him out 1 week after his second vaccination, just avoid taking him to places where many other dogs are e.g. a dog park. Our dog trainer said it was fine now, but only on sealed surfaces.

This seems to be something that everyone has a different opinion on. Now we're a bit confused.

We initially thought that but then our vet indicated that it should be ok to take him out 1 week after his second vaccination, just avoid taking him to places where many other dogs are e.g. a dog park. Our dog trainer said it was fine now, but only on sealed surfaces.

This seems to be something that everyone has a different opinion on. Now we're a bit confused.

Hi Mini M

My vet said that it should really be only after the 16 week vac. too. He said that I could take Max for short walks on the footpath outside my apartment building, but not to let him sniff around any grassed areas - or really sniff around anything for more than a second. Which is damned near impossible when you have a curious puppy! I took Max for the occasional walk but I did let paranoia get the better of me and waited until 16 weeks.

Because there are a fair few dogs in your area and not much parkland, I'd be a bit careful and go by the "better to be safe than sorry" philosophy. It's only another few weeks til Milo is fully vaccinated. As you know, I don't know a lot about dogs, but from what I've been reading on here there's a lot of Parvo virus about at the moment.

Cheers

Annie

Your pup in at the right age for the "fear period" and will spook very easily at the moment. It's best to be careful at this stage and a huge fright in the outside world can stay for a long time.

As for stopping and starting with the walks, our dog did this as well. I think they are just unsure of their surroundings and feeling a little insecure. It should pass as the weeks go on and he gains

more confidence. I too, waited until I'd passed the 16 week period for walking around the streets. He should be fully satisfied with the exercise he's getting at home, and lots of little games. It won't

take long before he's that bit older....... it goes very fast.

Maybe have a little read of the pinned topic "puppy development", there is lots of info there about what to expect and when.

Depends which vacc has been used,often the third one isnt required.

We show our pups from 3 months.we start walking ours up/down the roads at 8 weeks.

I would say the 20 meters is just atad too long at present.

Often better to make it it short & sweet & very fun.

Also just sitting out the front on lead does wonders for confidence allowing them to see things,hear things & watch things.

I'd just keep walking at a reasonable pace and not give him chance to stop, if it is a familiar road he is walking down (might be he just wants to stop and look but if it is a regular distance it is just him being awkward).

He won't be tired on that short distance, just think about how far he covers having a run around in the back yard! :thumbsup:

I have a poodle pup too. He sits when he is unsure of things and just wants to take it all in. He used to do it on walks all the time - I think it was his own prevention method to stop panic. Now he is a 19 week old puppy-about-town and he hardly does it all on walks. He will still sit and watch though around other dogs at the park - as close to my side as possible. Then he ventures off again but always comes back for a bit of "time-out". Hope this helps :thumbsup: