Warrnambool (vic) Dolers

jerojath

MC, I just sent you a friend request on facey, my profile pic is my dog Cooper in a collingwood scarf, just so you know it's me!

As if She's gonna accept your 'friend request' when you have a Collingwood scarfe on your profile pic!

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Happy 400 pages everyone!!! :thumbsup:

:dancingelephant::dancingelephant::dancingelephant::dancingelephant::dancingelephant::dancingelephant::dancingelephant::dancingelephant::dancingelephant::dancingelephant:

Was just thinking.... (as one does to beat boredom!)....

I can't believe we've crapped-on for over 400 pages! Who'd have thought? :shrug:

Mind you... there's been a few 'hair raising' moments which nearly killed this thread off! :laugh:

I still enjoy it. I don't get to catch up with you guys much these days, but it's good to be able to keep in touch.

Especially when I'm bored on quiet days like today! :banghead:

What's everyone else up to on this fine Spring day?

Edited by jerojath

TLC Hope Tully is still ok today ???

Ok have managed to get a couple of pics for you Chatter LOL every time I went to take a photo the OH gave me a job to do :) Oh well we now have 200 metres of pipe laid for our bore when we save up our $$$ for one :D

IMG_0374-1.jpg

IMG_0375-1.jpg

IMG_0376-1.jpg

Hope this gives you some idea of what its like :D

Happy Birthday Cavelblaze :birthday: :birthday: :birthday: :birthday: :birthday: :birthday: :birthday:

Hope your visit to R.S.P.C.A went well today M.C

Cheers Janet

Jj, My mate at work told me what to his snake, :eek: I was so sad for poor Snakey!

Yeah he was really unlucky.

Unfortunately he was thinking about not getting another one. :(

Just bad luck.... never heard of that happening before.

The Visit didnt go so well unfortunately Janet :(

I rang before we went down there, and explained that i wanted him to be able to look at all the dogs, and if possible have a play so we could see if there was one certain one that he liked. I also said i would like to have a look at one of the pups. She said that was fine and to bring him down.

So we went down there, and she bought out one of the pups, named Coco Pops. Gorgeous little brindle puppy, while we were waiting for her to come out, a border collie cross was taken past, and nathan loved it and had a quick pat as it went past. But when the pup came out, he wasnt interested at all :S Was more interested in the dogs outside the window lol. Sashia loved the pup, and she adored her in return.

In the end Nathan came over to have a pat of Coco, but Coco got all excited and jumped up to kiss his face, and unfortunately her paw got him right under the eye :( So we came home from the visit with a very crying nathan, who had 2 big scratches down his cheek saying he wants a puppy that doesnt have claws lol.

We didn't even get to have a look at any dogs besides the pup :( She said ok, sorry we couldnt help, and then went and put the pup away :( She did say that they dont often get little dogs coming through, and to just keep my eye on the website which ive been doing daily anyway.

Nice pic of Boofy RJ.

MC i think you will do better at the RSPCA when Mawson (shannon) is there, she knows you situation and will do her best to help, she is awesome!

Jj i think he is wanting to get another one possibly a MD.

Moody,

Shame it didn't go well at the shelter but to be honest I would not have even suggested Coco Pops as we have no idea what breed the litter is and I think they are gonna be biggish! Not huge but definitely bigger than what you are looking for!!

We do often get smaller breeds in, mainly foxies and jack russells, but sometimes quite interesting mixes and often puppies. Is a staffie bigger than what you wanted? We had a litter of staffie pups recently that's all and just trying to get a feel for what your limits are.

I will suss out what we have, I know there is nothing in adoption at the moment but as I work there I know what is coming through to adoption and even though I can't tell you prior to them going in to adoption, I will be able to give you a heads up when they are.

Hope this helps, don't give up on the shelter just yet, can I ask who served you today?

Cheers, Shannon

Edited to add that I work on Tuesdays and Fridays usually

Edited by mawson

Moody,

Shame it didn't go well at the shelter but to be honest I would not have even suggested Coco Pops as we have no idea what breed the litter is and I think they are gonna be biggish! Not huge but definitely bigger than what you are looking for!!

We do often get smaller breeds in, mainly foxies and jack russells, but sometimes quite interesting mixes and often puppies. Is a staffie bigger than what you wanted? We had a litter of staffie pups recently that's all and just trying to get a feel for what your limits are.

I will suss out what we have, I know there is nothing in adoption at the moment but as I work there I know what is coming through to adoption and even though I can't tell you prior to them going in to adoption, I will be able to give you a heads up when they are.

Hope this helps, don't give up on the shelter just yet, can I ask who served you today?

Cheers, Shannon

Edited to add that I work on Tuesdays and Fridays usually

Yeah i knew she wasn't what we wanted Mawson, but I just wanted to see how Nathan would react to a puppy. I want to get a feel for how he relates to pups, and older dogs, and what sort of dog he likes.

A staffie is definitely bigger then what we are after, And i dont particularly like them personally. I was just hoping that we could have a look at a few dogs down there.

Definitely interested in foxies and jack russells, prefer a dog with a short coat.

We definitely arent going to give up on that avenue though. Would love to give a dog a home from the RSPCA rather then buying one through a backyard breeder.

I'm not sure of the name of the girl who served me, She was young though with short black hair. Quite a nice girl, i just think i mustnt have explained what i wanted clearly enough. I had thought that we would be able to actually go through and look at all the dogs, not just have them bought out to us. I know its mainly kelpies and cattle dogs there at the moment, but i still just wanted to see how he would react to them.

Shall keep my eyes peeled on the web site though :)

Good morning,

Thankyou for the Birthday wishes.

We are alive and well here, only extra additions are alot chicks and a few ducklings soon to hatch. To come is a rabbit. lol.. Cage is all set up just a matter of finding a suitable candidate for a 5yr old to handle.

Puppies have all settled well into their new homes. Getting regular updates from 5 buyers, the 6th hasn't made any contact.

Lele is adjusting to being a solo dog. We decided to wait now to find another cavalier puppy. Might be a long wait but eventually we will get a whole coloured one.

Quote:

"We definitely arent going to give up on that avenue though. Would love to give a dog a home from the RSPCA rather then buying one through a backyard breeder."

These are not your only two options, MC.

Certainly not dumping on the idea of adopting from the RSPCA at all, but "backyard breeders" are not the only remaining option! How about a registered, responsible, ethical, reputable breeder?

The benefits here are that you know exactly what size your pup will end up, you have a very good idea of the pups temperament, you can be assured the pup will be free of hereditary health concerns, you have a responsible breeder you can turn to if things "just don't work out" etc etc.

If the RSPCA is unable to assist (although if anyone can help, Mawson can!) maybe you should consider this option. Yes, you will pay a lot more, yes you will probably have to wait a while, and yes you will probably have to travel some distance to meet the breeder etc, but when one has such important requirements these issues are of little concern. The chances of the perfect dog which meets all your requirements falling into your lap are pretty slim. We have sold a number of pups to people with various 'special needs' and owners have waited up to two years for their puppy and then driven across Australia to either meet us or collect their pup. When you plan on having this puppy as a part of your family for many, many years, these are a meer hurdle to obtain what you are after. :)

Edited coz I'm an idiot. :hitself:

Edited by jerojath

Good morning,

Thankyou for the Birthday wishes.

We are alive and well here, only extra additions are alot chicks and a few ducklings soon to hatch. To come is a rabbit. lol.. Cage is all set up just a matter of finding a suitable candidate for a 5yr old to handle.

Puppies have all settled well into their new homes. Getting regular updates from 5 buyers, the 6th hasn't made any contact.

Lele is adjusting to being a solo dog. We decided to wait now to find another cavalier puppy. Might be a long wait but eventually we will get a whole coloured one.

Glad all's well, Cav!

Hope you had a good day yesterday. :)

Quote:

"We definitely arent going to give up on that avenue though. Would love to give a dog a home from the RSPCA rather then buying one through a backyard breeder."

These are not your only two options, MC.

Certainly not dumping on the idea of adopting from the RSPCA at all, but "backyard breeders" are not the only remaining option! How about a registered, responsible, ethical, reputable breeder?

The benefits here are that you know exactly what size your pup will end up, you have a very good idea of the pups temperament, you can be assured the pup will be free of hereditary health concerns, you have a responsible breeder you can turn to if things "just don't work out" etc etc.

If the RSPCA is unable to assist (although if anyone can help, Mawson can!) maybe you should consider this option. Yes, you will pay a lot more, yes you will probably have to wait a while, and yes you will probably have to travel some distance to meet the breeder etc, but when one has such important requirement these issues are of little concern. The chances of the perfect dog which meets all your requirements falling into your lap are pretty slim. We have solod a number of pups to people with various 'special needs' and owners have waited up to two years for their puppy and then driven across Australia to either meet us or collect their pup. When you plan on having this puppy as a part of your family for many, many years, these are a meer hurdle to obtain what you are after. :)

We have been looking at breeders JJ. Had the secretary of the Mini Foxie Club tell us that even if she had any pups she wouldnt sell one to us. Haven't been able to find local breeders. Won't buy from interstate as we want Nathan to meet any pup or dog we are looking at buying before making a commitment.

Have had a few people tell us that we are looking at the wrong breeds of dog, and that we should look at larger dogs. Had a friend who breeds Golden Retrievers tell us they wouldn't be suitable. He was nice about it though :)

There is a woman in Ballarat, who has just mated her bitch, and said she will contact us in a few months if pups result.

We don't seem to be having much luck at the moment lol. There isn't a huge hurry to buy, but at this stage we would at least like to look at a few different breeds so we can see how Nathan reacts to size etc.

We know what we want, but we also know they may not be suitable. And we also know what we dont want! So its a matter of just getting Nathan out to meet other dogs, and talking to their owners etc. I am also trying to get onto Righteous pups, but every time i ring its an answering machine, so i will keep trying them as well.

We want to keep our options open, which is where the RSPCA comes in.

Just wanted to chime in with my 5cents worth re: visiting all the dogs in adoption, I'm not sure what others think but having been into the adoption area where all the dogs are at the RSPCA can be a traumatic experience and not one I would put any child through. Every dog is barking loudly and all of them are at the gate jumping up and all very excited. you can't even hear yourself think. So the idea that they bring the dog to the person adopting does make sense, even if they have to bring every dog out. Maybe it's not always like that, Mawson could elaborate. But it is certainly not like it is in the movies where people go to choose a rescue dog and thy are all sitting quiet in their cages.

Ok Well i contacted Righteous pups. They told me that they cant actually recommend a dog, because if they recommended a breed of dog, and we went and got one, and something went wrong then we could sue them :(

But she said just send us an email, tell us a little bit about your son, and we will send you an information pack.

So i have sent the email, now just to wait back :) I figure the worst they can do is say no.........but the difference in our lives if they said yes would be absolutely amazing!!!

Not having to sit outside in the hot sun every second hes out in the back yard, making sure he doesnt climb the fence. Not having to worry that he has worked out how to open the gate on the driveway.

Being able to take him to the beach, and not being one step behind him at all times!

Being able to take a shower, and not having to lock him in his room so that he doesnt unlock the door and escape off down teh road.

Knowing that if he does somehow get out, that the dog could track him. A best friend for him, that could help calm him down when he has a meltdown. A friend who likes to play with him, no matter what he says, or how silly he acts!

Not having to have him locked in the loungeroom like a jail cell, so that he doesnt get into something, because he can undo all the child safe locks. Or worrying that he has pulled a chair over to unbolt the door and gone walkabout, or out the window!

It could make a hugeeeeee difference to our lives! And if they say no? Well we just keep looking for a potential best friend for him!!!

My God that's a demanding role for ANY dog!

I believe the right dog would be one offering reliable companionship, and knowing a little about your sons needs, a calming, quiet demeanour.

Buying a dog and expecting it to ensure your son doesn't climb fences or open gates???

Making sure he doesn't get out of the house and run down the road? Track him when he does??? Hmmmmmm.

Helping ease or prevent a meltdown.... absolutely! Pets are great for this! My son has a favourite snake he gets out when he's feeling like this. When we see him about to 'loose it' we say "Go and get Mac out and sit on the couch".... works every time.

Must say though.... regardless of special needs, parents need to stay "one step behind" their kids at the beach regardless of having a wonder-dog or not! Especially at your sons age.

Please don't get me wrong... I'm NOT offering parenting advice here :laugh: , just saying that I don't think it's reasonable what you are expecting from a dog.

I have a particularly lovely dog here who has an incredible bond with my children and I trust her with them as much as a dog can be trusted, BUT I would never leave a child unattended in the yard and expect the dog to prevent the child escaping! Least of all 'track' him if he left the house. She may well do it, but that's NOT her job here and I certainly wouldn't expect it. :)

Edited to say.... What are others thoughts???

Edited by jerojath

Please don't get me wrong... I'm NOT offering parenting advice here , just saying that I don't think it's reasonable what you are expecting from a dog.

That is not what i would expect froma normal dog JJ lol.

That is the sort of things that Righteous Pups train the Autism Assistance dogs for.

And yes, we are always one step behind him at the beach and down the street etc etc. But because he isnt our only child it can make things a little difficult. If i turn away from him for 2 seconds to talk to my daughter he can be gone!

And i am not talking about leaving him out in the backyard on his own lol. But you know alot of kids you can leave them in teh backyard while you go in side to get a drink, or to go to the toilet? Well i cant do that with Nathan. If i have to go inside to get a drink, i have to bring him in with me, and OMG the tantrums!

All we want from a normal dog is companionship and love for Nathan :D

Even now, if i go outside for a smoke, I have to stand right at the door where i can see him, because otherwise he will climb the gate and get into the cupboards, or do other things. If i go to the toilet, and hes in the loungeroom, i have to lock the front door before i go. We have had to install special locks on all our windows so that he cant open them. During Summer its absolute hell trying to keep him away from open windows.

We have had him climb up a chest of drawers, using the handles as steps, to play in the fish tanks! Now the top of these fish tanks is level with my head, but he climbs up and plays with the fish :S Moves the lid and everything.

There are a whole range of things i could tell you about how he puts himself in danger........But the more i say, the more i start to feel like an irresponsible parent, which i am not. Lets just say that nathan has no fear! and leave it at that. But i am not silly enough to expect anything other then companionship and love from a dog.

However the Autism assistance dogs are trained for these types of situations!