Any Excellent Physios/chiros In Melbourne Inner Se?

megan_

Last night Fergus was playing with his toys (lots of jumping as per usual), when he suddenly let out a blood curdling scream. He then tried to walk and his back legs looked lame.

I scooped him up and went straight to the Emergency Vet. I carried him in and they asked me to put him down...of course, he happliy trotted to them and smooched his little heart out. I was happy and embarrassed all at the same time. :p

They did some testing and his back appeared to be sore (to touch, didn't want to jump up when encouraged). She said to keep an eye on him and take him to my vets if it didn't improve over the next few days. This morning he was jumping (tried to stop him, he wouldn't have a bar of it) but he wasn't as active as he normally is.

I'll keep an eye on him but I'd like to have the name/contact details of the best pysio/chiro out there "just in case". I'm in the inner SE suburbs of Melbourne, but I'd be willing to go for a long drive if that's what it takes.

Thanks,

Megan

I go to Kevin Kelly who works out of the Devon Meadows Dog Swimming Pool (Stanley Road, Devon Meadows). He only works on Wednesdays 4pm - 6pm. You don't ring for an appointment. You turn up and put your name on a whiteboard and he takes you in order of arrival. Problem is he is so popular that your best bet is to get your name down as soon as the pool opens (2pm) to ensure that you will be seen. I think his maximum amount is 20.

To my knowledge he is not 'papered' however I've done a reasonable amount of dotting around from vet and chiro (well known and reputed ones to boot) in the past with my previous girl and of them all I found Kevin to be the best in so far as using gentle yet very effective methods. He very much shows that he knows his 'stuff' and many people (breeders included) come from near and far to see him.

Edited by Erny

When a dog (or other animal/person) puts something 'out' skeletally speaking, it can and does often hurt quite acutely initially. Pain can subside though .... usually that's when the muscles stop spasming at the 'injury' site and/or the inflamation from the initial injury subsides (well, this is the way I understand it anyway), but that doesn't mean that whatever was 'out' has gone back 'in'. And if it remains out, the dog/animal/person is at higher risk of further injury at that point as well as it taking longer to fix, as 'muscle memory' will learn to assume that the 'out' position is the correct position (I've suffered this myself).

If that makes sense?

So, if it were me, I'd have it checked. It won't hurt to leave it for a couple of days and allow the immediate soreness to reside. It is often better for a chiro to manipulate when inflamation has receded. I can't help but recommend to go to a chiro that uses gentle manipulation methods though.

Edited by Erny