Digital Slr

New Age Outlaw

I've been thinking for a while about getting a digital SLR camera to extend my interest in photography. The last time I did anything with SLR type cameras was in school some 20+ years ago (I did film & TV class). Always wanted to get back into it but lacked the time and money to do so...now I am in the position where I can pursue this as a hobby.

So, I have been doing a bit of research on various cameras, and think I have settled on the Sony A700...it has a number of features that I like. I guess I just want to hear from other owners of Sony DSLRs that they are good, what things to look out for, general advice etc.

Also, I am keen to do a basic course to learn how to use it properly (once I actually get one) - am in Brissy so any recommendations on a course that is a) useful and b) doesn't cost and arm and a leg would be appreciated.

Edited by New Age Outlaw

Ignore this if you like:

When you buy a dSLR, you are buying into a system. It's not just about the body.

Consider the availablility of lenses and accessories.

Bear in mind that Sony owners (or Pentax for that matter) are a bit like Mac owners.

I wouldn't consider anything but Nikon or Canon.

Edited by Luke W

Agree with Luke on this.

When I changed to digital I had pentax film camera and lenses etc. The camera shop that I regularly went to for processing and equipment said dont wait for the pentax one go with the canon one that had been out for about 6 months. They explained that the old lenses I had would not fit the new camera (they wouldn't fit several of the new film cameras at the time) that was due for release a few months later.

It meant I had to also buy new lenses as well as the camera but was definately the best thing to do. And from the experiences that a fellow equestrian phtographer has had with pentax cameras since Im very glad I changed over to the Canon system.

Bear in mind that Sony owners (or Pentax for that matter) are a bit like Mac owners.
Interesting way to put it, as a former Mac owner i don't necessarily see it that way :rolleyes:

But definitely agree that:

:rolleyes:

Ignore this if you like:

When you buy a dSLR, you are buying into a system. It's not just about the body.

Consider the availablility of lenses and accessories.

I certainly won't ignore any of the advice I get here - I am still considering everything. The Nikon D90 appears to have similar features and price to the Sony I am considering, but from what I can see the similarly spec'd Canon is a bit more expensive.

Given that I am not planning on becoming professional I wouldn't have thought I would need huge numbers of lenses. One of the things I liked about the Sony is that the image stabilisation/vibration reduction technology is in the camera itself, as opposed to other brands where it is in the lens (and not in all lenses I think). Not having a go; just trying to understand the pros and cons of each, and the suitability for my purpose. :rolleyes:

I have a Sony Alpha A350 and I love it. I bought the A350 twin lens kit the first week it was released last year. I agree, the image stabilisation in the body is excellent. :thumbsup:

With all due respect to those who say they would not consider anything else but a Canon or a Nikon, I find that the people who say this have never tried the latest Sony cameras, so they really don't know how far the Sony cameras have come. The Sony heritage is Minolta, which Sony bought. They have done huge amounts of research to develop their cameras, and they have won heaps of awards. They have an extensive range of excellent Carl Zeiss lenses and I am very happy with mine.

I chose the A350 because I liked the 'Quick AF Live View' feature and the variable angle LCD screen. Many of the reviews say that Sony's Live View is the best in the industry and I think it is great. The A350 has won several Editor's Choice awards and it also won the EISA Award: European Camera 2008 - 2009. The EISA judging panel's comments were -

While the Sony α350 offers handy functions like image stabilisation and an anti dust system, its most impressive feature is the superbly designed Live View system. Thanks to a unique design, the camera can perform fast autofocusing in Live View mode using the camera’s primary AF system. This avoids the problems of secondary AF systems, and delays while the mirror flips out of the way. The tiltable LCD-monitor offers many creative possibilities for composition and unique angles of view. At such a reasonable price, this camera’s robust build and good image quality make it an ideal option for hobbyist photographers.

I don't use Live View that often, but it is fantastic for taking a difficult shot where it is hard to look through the viewfinder. For example, I can hold the camera up above my head to take a shot, but still see what I am taking the photo of. I also love the fact that the camera is 14 megapixels. :) The A700 doesn't have Live View though, so that obviously isn't why you have chosen that particular model.

NAO, if you have decided on a Sony, don't be put off by the Nikon/Canon brigade. Sony SLRs are great cameras and I know you will be thrilled with it when you start using it. :wave:

Thanx for the input WendyH. I was favouring the 700 mainly because of the faster shutter speed (30 - 1/8000) and the faster burst rate (5 fps) - I' figured that for capturing fast moving images (eg dogs running etc) it may be an advantage (?). The specs stuff I have been looking at says the 700 does have live view...will have to check and see if that is correct or not. The more I read into it, the more I am settled on a Sony...it would be a toss up between the 350 & the 700. Ah, decisions, decisions! :thumbsup:

Edited by New Age Outlaw

NAO, the faster shutter speed might be an advantage when you are photographing dogs running, but I have never had a problem with the A350 getting shots like that. I took these ones at a lure coursing day last year -

Catchinglure.jpg

Chasinglure.jpg

Purejoy.jpg

Waiting.jpg

JackRussellclose.jpg

I hadn't had the camera long then, I think I would get better ones now. :thumbsup:

and not a moving dog, but two photos I was very happy with -

Brianna13apr08sm2.jpg

Brianna17apr08.jpg

The best place to look to compare the features is here -

Sony DSLR Centre - Cameras

The A700 definitely doesn't have Live View. That's why I waited for the A350. It was the first in the Sony range to have Live View. The A700 is a more serious camera though, so I guess it's a matter of deciding which features you will use the most. :)

Edited to fix the link. :p

Edited by WendyH

Also, I am keen to do a basic course to learn how to use it properly (once I actually get one) - am in Brissy so any recommendations on a course that is a) useful and b) doesn't cost and arm and a leg would be appreciated

In NSW there are local community colleges that offer digital photography courses. I paid for my husband to go on the Introduction to Digital Photography course last year so he could use his Olympus to its potential and it did nothing at all to teach him as he was bored and in his words, "The guy just crapped on about his cameras and plugged his own photography" So that was about $140 down the drain there as he still takes photos on Auto with it (he will use 'P' (program) mode sometimes). I did the Advanced Photography one at our local community college in May last year and it was ok, I learned more from reading that book recommended by a lot of DOLers, "Understanding Exposure" to be honest.

I have a Canon but my OH has an Olympus which stays at his office as it's a work camera. I found the Olympus pretty user friendly too - it's an E410 I think.

I think you will be happy with any of the big players. I probably wouldn't consider a Sony for myself as they do not have the lineup of lenses and other bits and bobs (like underwater housings etc) that I need but if you have looked at their offerings and see what you need, go for it. They are a good solid company and their cameras/lenses are just fine :)

As for courses, it's hard to recommend one as they are so very different and it can often come down to the instructor and how tailored the course can be to each student's needs. I would start simply by having a browse through your user manual and start pushing buttons. Find a Sony forum for specific Sony questions and check out some of the web forums for photography for general stuffs - often there are a group of pissants on a forum, but *most* members are very helpful. wwwthephotoforum.com isn't a bad one to check out.

You can also pop questions up here - we're a small photo community, but there is a lot of great advice & many opinions to go through!

Have fun!

• 4 months later...
Nice pics!!! :eek: I'll have to give it all some more thought...I'm not in a mad rush...gotta wait until Mr Rudd gives me my money anyway! :wave:

This is an old thread so I am not sure if you have brought your camera yet?

I brought a Sony A350 just over a year ago as my first DSLR and have been more then happy with it. I started with the two kit lenses but have since brought a few different lenses. Two weeks ago I decided to sell my camera on Ebay and get an A700 body only out of Hong Kong. It didn't cost me much to make the change and I already had the lenses that I needed. I do miss the live view and the tilt screen but I think the quality of my images is far better on the A700.

I have had no trouble buying anything I need for the camera and I did try Canon and Pentax first but found the Sony better for me.