Whippet Race Training?

Zippa

Hi there every one im looking for a place where i can train my whippet to chase the lure. :thumbsup:

im in melbourne.

Iv tried looking at greyhound tracks and am haveing trouble :laugh: finding like a slips track not

even sure that whippets can even use them?

Any info would be much apprciated.

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Zippa, looky here!

Hi everyone,

I apologise for the short notice, I will blame the upheaval of the bushfires.

Although our fun days are clearly that, fun, we notice alot of whippets aren't genuine chasers and this makes it difficult for us to plan proper races in the future. Some want to take out the opposition, which isn't good, and some think it's just a chance for a run and play but fairly quickly turn back and run to mummy or daddy. We are happy for people who's whippets want to do this to continue to come to the fun days but we also want to get some serious racing whippets! So, with that in mind, we are offering everyone who wants to get their whippets to properly chase the lure, a training day, this coming Sunday 15th starting 11am.

This is quite different to our usual fun days. We want to get your whippet to chase the lure alone, the idea being they need to learn to go after the lure, not just run with other whippets. If you want your whippet to race in the future they need to learn to chase, not play. A good racing dog will ignore other dogs and chase the lure all the way to the catching pen. To do this we will use a drag lure. It's just a lure, often a plastic bag, attached to a string and pulled along the ground but there's little noise to frighten a whippet and the quick sometimes erratic movement often excites them to chase.

It's open to whippets, belonging to both members and non members, cost per whippet, a gold coin. We are holding this for those whippets who need to learn, not the ones who already know what to do.

We are holding the training day at the Park Orchards Slipping Track Stintons rd Park Orchards. Mel ref M35 B8. so dont go to Healesville!! You will need to bring your own lunch and refreshments, chair and water for your whippets. There is a barbeque area nearby. There isn't alot of shade there either so be aware of that if it looks like being a warm day.

If you plan on coming can you send me an email just to give us an idea of numbers. many thanks

Linda.