How To Hook 2 Dogs Together

For a bit of fun, and ? i've been training my dogs to work/walk like sled dogs, Mainly working on teaching them left, right, stand etc. (We do not actually pull anything, and probably never really will) but I was wondering, how is the best way to hook them together? they pretty well just walk side by side, but on occasion will seperate. I use a seat belt harness when walking, and a bungy lead (When I'm walking one at a time) should I have two leads on them side by side? or do I hook them together somehow?

rambling a bit, but hopefully someone will get the idea.

how long is the neck line? and on the tow line, how long is it before they join? please?

The neck line is about 30cm.

The lead out line is probably about 3mtrs and is attached to the base of the harness, not

to the collar.

Can measure it properly tonight if you like.

how long is the neck line? and on the tow line, how long is it before they join? please?

The neck line is about 30cm.

The lead out line is probably about 3mtrs and is attached to the base of the harness, not

to the collar.

Can measure it properly tonight if you like.

Great, made a short lead to connect the collars, a y thingy to connect the harnesses, gave it a try out this afternoon, problem is that one of the dogs keeps turning around and getting tangled. Is this just a training thing? or have I messed up somehow? usually when I walk them, they just walk side by side fairly naturally.. (This is just using standard leads on the collars.) could it be the noise of the scooter behind them? (I'm being the propulsion of the scooter not them, since I do not yet have proper harnesses, just seatbelts) they keep turning and trying to chew the leads.

Thank you for your patence. :happydance2:

I'm in echuca, Victoria, and have 2 English spinger spaniels, Many months ago, I saw a thing on TV about sled dog races etc, and thought, That looks fun, I got in touch with the victorian Sled dog association, and recieved a few very informative emails about how to train my dog (I only had one then) I had a lot of fun, just getting him to walk in front of me, and to turn, leave stuff etc, Time went on, and it sort of fell by the roadside (He was/is very young, only 9 mths old now) I recently got an 8mth old bitch to keep Fred company, and realised, when we went walking, that they walk very nicely together, side by side, in front of me, I started thinking about sled dog stuff again (I'm not interested in racing, or anything like that) indeed, I don't intend for them to ever really pull me (Well maybe a little bit, on the flats) I want to wait until they are 2yrs old before I by harnesses etc (If I continue that long) I'm just playing around, wanting to spend time with my dogs, that if exercise is a by product is all the better. As far as I,and my dogs are concerned, I want this to be fun.

I made the short leash out of bungy cord, and the y thing out of bungy cord. I'm also using a lead with a bungy thing in it as the tow? lead?

Sounds like you are having lots of fun Paddles.

If you think one of the dogs is scared of the scooter, try harnessing him/her up and just run along behind them both

without the scooter.

The thing with a harness is that it needs to be comfortable, you wouldn't like to run with ill fitting

shoes.

mysticpaw, Where can I buy harnesses etc? My home made stuff fell apart this morning, and also, Keeping in mind what you said about the comfort, I noticed that the seatbelt harnesses kept pulling to the side (Maybe my y thingy wasn't long enough?) I think that I will save up and buy proper equipment (Unless you know somewhere where I could get second hand harnesses?) Thank you

mysticpaw, Where can I buy harnesses etc? My home made stuff fell apart this morning, and also, Keeping in mind what you said about the comfort, I noticed that the seatbelt harnesses kept pulling to the side (Maybe my y thingy wasn't long enough?) I think that I will save up and buy proper equipment (Unless you know somewhere where I could get second hand harnesses?) Thank you

Will look into it for you.

I don't think any of our older harnesses will fit a springer size dog, otherwise i would offer you one of them. How big are your dogs? The SHCV does have a few second hand harnesses for sale, that could be the right size.

Otherwise try asking on the ozworkingdog yahoo group.

I have decided to buy new harnesses, Windchill does a deal, complete setup, for $100- (or something like that) I have decided for safety, I need to spend more time just walking behind the dogs, refining commands etc. so have a little more time before I need to buy the harnesses. I need to come up with a command or something meaning, go forward, since they do not necisarrily go forward (Usually, but not always) and a better stop! LOL

I also think I need to find a club near here, so that I can find someone to give me more hands on teaching.

Thank you for all your help

I need to come up with a command or something meaning, go forward, since they do not necisarrily go forward

We just use the command "Let's Go"

We use Hut really loudly. The word is supposed to be Hike but I missheard it and it was to late to change.

We used to walk and the dog would be out in front and I would say it and start running.

To stop it's just whoa.

Our dogs watch the timer (clock) at races and listen to the count down from five, four,etc.

I actually have a pic of Ricky watching the clock. :D

On the trail they are told to pick it up or take me home.