Sleeping At Night

LeeJane

Hi Everyone,

I need some advice re. training my pup to sleep in the laundry alone.

She is currently sleeping in our bedroom, in a plastic storage box (those from Bunnings). There is a comfy pillow in there for her.

When she needs to go to toilet at night, she will sit in her box and whine. So we will lift her up (carry her out of the box), because she can't jump out. The reason we put her in the box because we were afraid that she will pee/poo in the room if we only put her in her normal doggie bed.

Now, she is growing (doh!) and getting close to 10kg. It sometimes hurts my back lifting her up from the box. But my partner jsut refused to let her sleep on normal doggie bed in our room, in case accidents happen on our carpet.

So my next option is let the pup sleeps in the laundry at night with the baby's gate closed. My pup will usually pee/poo on the newspaper i lay on the floor. When I am at work, she stays in the laundry and doesn't mind at all because she understands that I am going to work.

However, whenever I put her in the laundry at night (when she is sleepy), she will whine and bark and wanting to go into our room.

It breaks my heart that she is whines and cry in the laundry at night.

Friends told me that I just have to put up with the whining a couple of nights then she will be ok. Is that true?

Please advise.

Yes that's true. Of course if you've been going to her while she's whining & let her out it's going to take longer. I usually start with pups in the room that they are going to sleep in from the 1st night home. If you get a crate for her & start her sleeping in it in your room, take note at how long she can hold it b4 having to go outside to relieve herself. Take her out & allow her 5 mins to do the deed & if she doesn't back in the crate. If she's kicking up a storm don't go to her. Once she gets used to the crate & can hold it all night move her out to the laundry.

You may have a few sleepless nights but it will be worth it in the long run. I tried this with Tilba, I would have left her but sons & oh would go out to her because of all the noise she made. I eventually let her sleep in the room on a dog bed & she was more settled.

Have to agree about getting a crate. I have one for my almost 10 week old Cav and she is going great guns. She generally goes all night without needing to go out to wee. Last night she went from 10pm to 6am and only really got up at 6 am as I got her up. It has made such a difference crate training this dog and I highly recommend it.

Have to agree about getting a crate. I have one for my almost 10 week old Cav and she is going great guns. She generally goes all night without needing to go out to wee. Last night she went from 10pm to 6am and only really got up at 6 am as I got her up. It has made such a difference crate training this dog and I highly recommend it.

You mentioned a crate, I have one of those dog carriers meant for plan travel, is this what you mean? or more like a cage?

Maree

You mentioned a crate, I have one of those dog carriers meant for plan travel, is this what you mean? or more like a cage?

Maree

Yes I have the wire type not the plane travel type but either would be fine. Make sure it is the right size though.

Here is a good crate that we luuuuurrrrrrrrved for the forst 3-4 months-until she outgrew it-we then upgraded her to the canvas type one with mesh sides-just put a towel over the top to stop drafts...

It was nice and cosy while still letting in a bit of air for circulation without to drafty..

post-23560-1235115220_thumb.jpg

Cannot receommend them enough