Omg! What Are These Sores On My Dogs?

snr

The vet seems to think they have picked the infection up at our local Dog wash up at the BP servo.

Apparently they have had 5 dogs in the past week come in with the same thing as my 2. And they all had bathed their dogs up there within a week of getting the infection. So won't be going there agin.

:laugh: Yucky.

For the hot spots if thye are still weepy go grab some Curash powder (baby nappy rash powder from the chemist or supermarket) and put onto the spots to dry them out. When they are not weepy you can use the cream. The antibiotics should help clear them up as well.

Must be the season for it - I have just found 4 or 5 big whitehead looking pimple things around Patch's belly/groin. Not sure whether to try some vitamin e cream on it before making a vet appointment.

Must be the season for it - I have just found 4 or 5 big whitehead looking pimple things around Patch's belly/groin. Not sure whether to try some vitamin e cream on it before making a vet appointment.

Do you have any medicated creams or even Physohex (the human acne facewash cream)? These would be a better option.

Do you have any medicated creams or even Physohex (the human acne facewash cream)? These would be a better option.

I'll raid the cupboards and see what I can find - thanks

*edit* I have some 'Dermotic' that I have used on him previously for an irritated mole on his chest.

Edited by CBL

We are off to the vets tomorrow, most of his marks have gone down (still red though) - one however looks really nasty - it is very big and looks very angry and pussy. Plus I found another small spot on his penis too. Looks like a skin infection too so he may need antibiotics.

yellow listerin( mouth wash)is good for hotspots) but it has to be the yellow,not the other colours.and neocort cream if it is really bad. I hope this helps

I will second that.

Even my vet recommends it ! The alcohol in it dries it up and works like a disinfectant against the bacteria.

My boy is looking alot better. His ones on his belly have dried up. However my poor girl still has a long way to go. I rang my vet again today to see whether or not I needed to put any cream on her neck. I was told the Malaseb wash with the anti biotics should clear it up. If they haven't then to go back to the Vet and she will give me some cream. I bought some curash Powder and have pu ththat on both of them. Don't know if it's helping.

But my girls have dried up a bit since yesterday. I hate seeing them in this condition. It is yucky..Poor things

Snr, for now follow the vet's instructions, staph bacterial infections can be very stubborn and also contagious. Although usually they do not attack healthy skin, the bacteria lives on the skin anyway.

So may have been a combination of something irritating in the dog wash water, then a bacterially contaminated environment at the dog wash.

Listerine is useful for hotspots as mentioned, but that is more when it is a fungal infection, these dogs now have a secondary bacterial infection.

Be careful putting curash on wet wounds or skin disorders, it contains corn flour, so when dry will turn to starch and go hard like plaster. I would only recommend it for dry skin conditions or for moist zones on the dog but not on weeping areas. Also it contains zinc, so use only short term, since zinc is toxic in large amounts.

It's very important to wash your hands before handling a dog with staph infections, and preferably use rubber surgical gloves, since it is possilbe to spread the infection around from one spot to another on the dog, or to another dog.

So use a fresh swab to apply treatment to each area if you are applying cream or similar.

Wash hands thoroughly afterwards, keep your fingernails very clean.

Wash the dogs bedding several times a week and dry thoroughly in strong sunlight, or use old sheets cut up, that you can throw away.

Avoid woolly or furry surfaces for the time being.

Thanks.. I haven't useda ny more Powder. They are looking really good.

My boy is pretty much cleared up. My girl is sooooo much better than she was.

I have just washed them in their Malaseb again. Making sure I have completely dried them.

They are much happier today too.