Is A Dog That Isn't Listening Dominant?

corvus

The best way to assess preference that I am aware of is to incorporate consumer demand theory. If you assign a cost to a resource you can then determine if that resource is a necessity or a luxury, it is called price elasticity of demand in human microeconomics. As spotty has said, simple preference tests aren't adequate as they fail to take into account motivation or other things such as the animal may simply pick the least aversive option. I've just finished my review chapter on choice and control research so it is all fresh in my mind.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow how did I miss that pearl from JM?! The dog knows! And chooses to ignore! Anthropomorphising much?

That's what I said earlier tkay.....totally agree!

I'm only responding to these two comments here, and won't be responding to anything else in this thread.

Anthropomorphism is applying attributes unique to humans to animals.

If a dog can't "know" something and can't make a choice then behaviour modification is impossible.

A choice is deciding between two outcomes. Lets say I was using an e-collar as +P. The dog quickly learns (so he knows) that if he disobeys my sit even at a distance, he'll get a zap. This means he makes the choice to listen to my command.

Also Kelpie, if you honestly think that comment was Anthropomorphising then you better fire almost all of the trainers working for you. I heard every single one of them refer to a dogs ability to make choices.

Sorry Midol this means you have forced the dog to respond to the zap as you put it from the e collar not from the dog having a choice or even probably knowing what your were trying to teach in the first place.

Edited by pinnacle dts