Best Way To Pick A New Pup

Molz_25

If as you say "one hyper dog is enough" then perhaps you should reconsider the breed you intend to purchase. From my understanding, lab puppies are pretty full on!

I have medium shar pei and tiny chihuahuas. The chi's are mostly indoors and the pei out, but they do interact daily. The pei are not overly boisterous dogs though, even as pups. The male chi tends to bite the pei alot in play - he is very annoying. They pretty much just ignore his nonsense. I am constantly aware of the size difference and never forget that one quick burst of anger from one of the pei's could result in a dead or badly injured chi.

Also while it is normal and healthy for 2 dogs to form a close bond, it is also vitally important that they can survive happily without each other. Now I have a second chi baby and as easy it would be to let them sleep together and be together always, it is better for them to have time apart and learn to be individuals. That way they will not be so stressed if the need arises for them to be separated for any length of time (eg, when one is at a vet for some reason, or in my case a dog show, or in season). The adult boy sleeps on my sons bed, while the girl is in her own bed her own area (I don't believe baby pups should sleep on a high human bed - too risky and dangerous).

Edited by badboyz

I'm just wondering, if you keep the both of them separate would that mean that they won't 'bond' together as much?

Bonding only happens where being together is enjoyable.If all the experiences are terrifying then the 2 will never bond & you will have 12 yrs of hell.

Doing it slowly & carefully is a must .Patience gets good results.It could take months before you can have a happy household or yoy could be lucky & it works well quickly but we always work on the months plan because its easier to prepare for the worst case scenario & be prepared than under estimate

If as you say "one hyper dog is enough" then perhaps you should reconsider the breed you intend to purchase. From my understanding, lab puppies are pretty full on!

I have medium shar pei and tiny chihuahuas. The chi's are mostly indoors and the pei out, but they do interact daily. The pei are not overly boisterous dogs though, even as pups. The male chi tends to bite the pei alot in play - he is very annoying. They pretty much just ignore his nonsense. I am constantly aware of the size difference and never forget that one quick burst of anger from one of the pei's could result in a dead or badly injured chi.

Also while it is normal and healthy for 2 dogs to form a close bond, it is also vitally important that they can survive happily without each other. Now I have a second chi baby and as easy it would be to let them sleep together and be together always, it is better for them to have time apart and learn to be individuals. That way they will not be so stressed if the need arises for them to be separated for any length of time (eg, when one is at a vet for some reason, or in my case a dog show, or in season). The adult boy sleeps on my sons bed, while the girl is in her own bed her own area (I don't believe baby pups should sleep on a high human bed - too risky and dangerous).

You make a good point that the two dog need to survive happily without each other. I think it would be good to have the lab outside and Molly outside.

Unfortunately, reconsidering the breed won't be up to me. It's not my dog and my mum and brother have their heart set on a yellow labby :whiteflag:

I'm just wondering, if you keep the both of them separate would that mean that they won't 'bond' together as much?

Bonding only happens where being together is enjoyable.If all the experiences are terrifying then the 2 will never bond & you will have 12 yrs of hell.

Doing it slowly & carefully is a must .Patience gets good results.It could take months before you can have a happy household or yoy could be lucky & it works well quickly but we always work on the months plan because its easier to prepare for the worst case scenario & be prepared than under estimate

Thanks Settrlvr...one can only hope to be lucky hehe we will see. I have contacted the breeder about some of my concerns and will await a reply. two pups in the litter are already set to be guide dogs in training