Revolution

Yesterday I gave my dogs their regular Revolution treatment - have been using it for several years. As soon as I put it on Elke, she flinched, then got really panicky and tried to roll it off. It must have really burned her skin.

I immediately washed the area, and then held a packet of frozen vegetables on the area for a while (all I had on hand!), which seemed to help her and she eventually settled down.

I'm certainly not going to use Revolution on Elke again, and probably not on Kaiser either - he has been a bit quiet today as well.

Has anyone else had problems with Revolution?

Haven't used it for months but when I was using it have never had a problem.

I have heard of other treatments causing similar reactions to peoples dogs.

Make sure you keep the packaging and report it to the supplier/manufacturer.

My previous girl (Kal, bless her cotton socks) used to object to it too. I should have 'listened' to her. Not saying that it did cause her any health issues, but I wouldn't know. Another DOLer wrote the same about her dog objecting to it as well, in a thread some months ago. I used to use Revolution because it treated ear mites as well as fleas etc., but I won't use it anymore unless something ever crops up to suggest it is absolutely necessary. In fact, I'm not using any spot-ons. The less drugs entering my current dog's system the better, IMO. Depends on where you live though. I'm in Victoria so ticks aren't so much an issue (although from memory I don't think Revolution protects against ticks) as elsewhere and I don't have any flea issues.

Edited by Erny

My shepherd doesn't like it either (but never so extreme to try and wipe it off/panicky).. he's a bit of a sook in general and not sure if its just the coldness/feel? Or he usually gets ear cleanings at the same time so it could be that too. He just runs off with his tail between his legs. I've used it for years on my ferrets and they never seem bothered by it at all. Nearly ran out of the packet so trying to decide whether to stick with it or use something else on the shep.

I'd suggest reporting it to manufacturer and seeing what they say? Maybe ask for refund?

Edited by karly101

I have used it on my 3 for about 1.5 years.

I havent had a single problem while using it on the dogs.

I have an adult male GSD, adult female GSDx a retriever of some sort, adult Greyhound.

The only reason i have down graded to a monthly heartworm tablet is because I didnt want to be putting chemicals in or on their boyd unnecessarily. If they get flea problems I will deal with it then. :cool:

My previous girl (Kal, bless her cotton socks) used to object to it too. I should have 'listened' to her. Not saying that it did cause her any health issues, but I wouldn't know. Another DOLer wrote the same about her dog objecting to it as well, in a thread some months ago. I used to use Revolution because it treated ear mites as well as fleas etc., but I won't use it anymore unless something ever crops up to suggest it is absolutely necessary. In fact, I'm not using any spot-ons. The less drugs entering my current dog's system the better, IMO. Depends on where you live though. I'm in Victoria so ticks aren't so much an issue (although from memory I don't think Revolution protects against ticks) as elsewhere and I don't have any flea issues.

Totally agree with you there Erny :cool:

The only reason i have down graded to a monthly heartworm tablet is because I didnt want to be putting chemicals in or on their boyd unnecessarily. If they get flea problems I will deal with it then. :cool:

The "monthly" heartworm tabs actually last for 45 days. Thing is, if you forget beyond that you may need to have your dog tested for heartworm before re-administering. I understand the daily tabs are the 'safest' in so far as chemical make-up is concerned, but again .... you shouldn't forget to give it each day. Whether you actually give meds for heartworm preventative is a personal decision to make (weighing up the pro's/cons) and is very dependant on whether you are in an area which is likely to have mozzies that transfer the insidious heartworm. Just my opinion though. I know there are many who give the meds regardless.

Yep, I have had problems with Revolution, and Frontline, and Advantage! Arrrgg! :cool:

Its a really good idea to report the adverse reaction to: http://www.apvma.gov.au/index.asp (there is a form to fill out) rather than to the manufacturer. Unfortunately most reactions dont get reported so the apvma doesnt get real statistics on which products are causing problems and how often

Its a really good idea to report the adverse reaction to: http://www.apvma.gov.au/index.asp (there is a form to fill out) rather than to the manufacturer. Unfortunately most reactions dont get reported so the apvma doesnt get real statistics on which products are causing problems and how often

How do you report "my dog doesn't seem to like it"? I don't know if the substance causes a stinging on the skin or whether the dogs sometimes just end up 'knowing'. When I first adopted my avatar girl we found she had giardia. Normally she was a very biddable dog and would agree to allow me to administer whatever I needed to. But the liquid medication I had to give her caused a huge issue. Massive struggling/fighting it. It ended up causing her to vomit. We switched medication and although the second lot was still liquid, she allowed me to administer it with very little trouble.

With the Revolution, she was fine for quite a long time .... then she began to object to it, slinking away, reluctant to come over to me etc. There was never any redness on her skin to suggest irritation and I didn't necessarily put it in the same place every time. I didn't try other spot-ons - I just eventually stopped using them altogether - so I don't know if her reaction to other brands would have been the same or different.

My dog doesn't like his spot on either, and he's reluctant to come to me when he sees it. I wish I could stop putting it on him, but where I live unfortunately stopping it isn't an option.

I think it depends where you live and what the risks are. Maybe you can talk to your vet about alternative options.

How do you report "my dog doesn't seem to like it"? I don't know if the substance causes a stinging on the skin or whether the dogs sometimes just end up 'knowing'. When I first adopted my avatar girl we found she had giardia. Normally she was a very biddable dog and would agree to allow me to administer whatever I needed to. But the liquid medication I had to give her caused a huge issue. Massive struggling/fighting it. It ended up causing her to vomit. We switched medication and although the second lot was still liquid, she allowed me to administer it with very little trouble.

With the Revolution, she was fine for quite a long time .... then she began to object to it, slinking away, reluctant to come over to me etc. There was never any redness on her skin to suggest irritation and I didn't necessarily put it in the same place every time. I didn't try other spot-ons - I just eventually stopped using them altogether - so I don't know if her reaction to other brands would have been the same or different.

I know what you mean - I guess I would only actually report the ones where they do show a definate sign of reaction - The ones I have classed as a 'reaction' so far are: one of my dogs has had a reaction where he was panting heavily and had really glassy eyes, it also left a red bumpy spot on him. One of my dogs acts very aggressively about an hour afterwards (totally out of character for her) and has hypersensitive skin. Another time one of them literally ran around 'screaming' after I put it on them.

The "monthly" heartworm tabs actually last for 45 days. Thing is, if you forget beyond that you may need to have your dog tested for heartworm before re-administering. I understand the daily tabs are the 'safest' in so far as chemical make-up is concerned, but again .... you shouldn't forget to give it each day. Whether you actually give meds for heartworm preventative is a personal decision to make (weighing up the pro's/cons) and is very dependant on whether you are in an area which is likely to have mozzies that transfer the insidious heartworm. Just my opinion though. I know there are many who give the meds regardless.

We have a lake 4 blocks from our house an i have noticed more mozzies around this area than other places i have lived in.

I usually have a supply of the tabs at home so i dont run out :cry:

It could also be the "smell" that these products have as well. By being on the back of the neck, it probably gives off quite a strong pong to their very sensitive noses.

I try to use as little as possible on my dogs - so many chemicals around these days. Seems there are new products out all the time but I doubt if very much testing is done to see what reactions occur like they do with human drugs.

When I first heard of Revolution, I asked my vet about it....and he no longer carried it. Said to many of his clients dogs had come down with heartworms while on it. He could not say if it was faulty product or the people were just not applying it correctly. But a number of members on the golden retriever forums I belong to have posted their vet no longer carries it for the same reason

Also, here in America, it is the #2 heartworm prevention in deaths and adverse reactions. Only Proheart6 topped it.Thiese things can be checked out at http://www.dogsadversereactions.com The lady that started this site started it after almost losing her pug to ProHeart6, and as time went on, other heartworm preventtives, NSAIDs, vaccines were added. She knows how to get stuff and here we have the Freedom of Information Act and we can get lots of goverment records.....providing it is like top secret stuff. She and a few others that lost dogs to ProHeart6 have had lots of contact with the FDA vets and have learn so much.

Yes, she does a wonderful job. Many of us that lost a dog, or almost lost one, are still in contact after all this time and Laurryn works hard keeping everything up to date. The only way people find out about these things is when someone is willing to work hard and get the informaition out. I am justthankful we have the Freedom Of Information act so she can getthat stuff right from our government.