Puppies Chewing On Wood

saram

Our pups love chewing on wood! Branches, furniture, pencils, wooden toys - it's driving me bonkers. I'm concerned about splinters particularly if they swallow the wood, is this a problem or will it break down in their gut. Are there safe wooden chews? Thanks

Our pups love chewing on wood! Branches, furniture, pencils, wooden toys - it's driving me bonkers. I'm concerned about splinters particularly if they swallow the wood, is this a problem or will it break down in their gut. Are there safe wooden chews? Thanks

Goldies? Labs? Or at least medium-large dogs with good jaws. If you don't mind a real mess, give them pine cones and banksia nuts. They make a mess but not long splintery pieces. But don't let them chew them up on your bed :thumbsup:

Both my Aussies did this as pups, and one of my breeders assured me that'd they'd be fine.

I did offer them plently of other things to chew on, but atleast now; when we go along the beach, they are more then happy to play fetch stick, - no more loosing tennis balls. :thumbsup:

Henschke did this too up until recently. We just gave him chew bones which are a lot more interesting and he stopped. The only wood that I would be concerned with is the wood that's attached to your furniture. (Yep, he did that too! LOL.)