Action Shots

iltby

AH weird nikon talk !!! Never had a problem with the IS on either lens doing racing and horse sports with the two canon lenses.

BUt with AI Servo you must keep the centre focus sensor on the subject - if it drifts off at all it will focus on the background and very quickly (like in amongst a burst of images).

• 2 weeks later...
Put it on THESE settings (and take pics with your back to the sun).

Dial on M for Manual

ISO 400

F8

Shutter speed 1/1000th

Put focus on AI Servo

Put the continuous shooting on hi speed (H with the cascading squares).

Point at object and pan with trying to keep the centre of the viewfinder on the subject (if easier practice on cars on the road before say a dog).

MOST of your shots should be close to what you want. If they arent check you settings again.

If you cannot have the sun fully behind you drop the aperture to 7.1 or is very shadowy 6.3.

I take everything on manual so cant help trying to 'make' it do stuff on other settings.

Hi there I am new to the photography business, this is like talking Arabic to me :confused: up until ISO I am with you.... what are F8 and how do you set shutter speed and AI servo? And aslo the continous shooting? I don't even know if I have these things on my camera, I have a Canon EOS D5

Any help is appreciated

Yes read the manual and also go out and find some how to photography books that you can follow. To operate the SLR cameras you have to have some technical know how of how they work or they wont take the photos expected.

As chezzyr said the manual will explain the settings above and how to use them and a 'how to' book is essential as you will need to know how to change them to take photos (as things will need changing if the subject ends up with the sun behind it (backlit) or it gets overcast, etc).

5D doesnt come with an inbuilt flash either so not really the best camera to buy first up as an SLR as its designed to be used with a professional flash/flashes such as in a studio not just a general camera like the 1000D, 450D and 40D. The 1Ds are also made for either studio or sports with two versions released in the early days (I dont follow so dont know what they have at the top of the range now).