Action Shots

iltby

Hey guys,

I need some tips on taking action shots because I'm absolutely hopeless with them - the majority turn out blurry and/or OOF. Obviously if they're blurry I need to up the shutter speed but I need some help with the focusing part.

Any advice would be helpful :thumbsup:

TIA!

Hey guys,

I need some tips on taking action shots because I'm absolutely hopeless with them - the majority turn out blurry and/or OOF. Obviously if they're blurry I need to up the shutter speed but I need some help with the focusing part.

Any advice would be helpful :thumbsup:

TIA!

Remind me what camera and what lens you are using.

40D and 1.4 50mm or 2.8 100mm :cry:

Center focus point, AI Servo mode, High speed multishot mode (can't remember what it's called), shutter speed at least 1/500, try to keep the center point over the dog and hold then shutter down.

At the start, expect less than 1 in 5 shots to be any good.

:(

See, I used that exact setting today, took about 150 shots, got maybe 10 useable ones :cry: Maybe I just need to get used to AI Servo. I was using Ap though, I think I need to try earlier in the day so that I can use Tv.

Thanks for the advice!

See, I used that exact setting today, took about 150 shots, got maybe 10 useable ones :cry: Maybe I just need to get used to AI Servo. I was using Ap though, I think I need to try earlier in the day so that I can use Tv.

Thanks for the advice!

Check what shutter speeds you were getting.

Make sure you are using AI Servo, not AI focus.

Put it on THESE settings (and take pics with your back to the sun).

Dial on M for Manual

ISO 400

F8

Shutter speed 1/1000th

Put focus on AI Servo

Put the continuous shooting on hi speed (H with the cascading squares).

Point at object and pan with trying to keep the centre of the viewfinder on the subject (if easier practice on cars on the road before say a dog).

MOST of your shots should be close to what you want. If they arent check you settings again.

If you cannot have the sun fully behind you drop the aperture to 7.1 or is very shadowy 6.3.

I take everything on manual so cant help trying to 'make' it do stuff on other settings.

Try rubiton's suggestion ... if that isn't working or you want to try another option, here's what I found worked best with the jumping penguins (fast, small, low contrast little buggers):

I tried AI servo with high speed continuous shooting. Wasted a whole heap of frames and had a dismal keeper rate. Tried it on non-high speed (no H) continual shooting and it was better. Went back to just AI servo and I physically pulled the trigger repeatedly during a jump sequence. I don't know why but my keeper rate was way higher the last way.

I've not tried this extensively with the puppies yet, but it's on my list to do. Be interested to see if it works :)

I guess I should use this method more myself, but I tend to swim against the tide and use mostly single-shot. Just as with continuous, you win some, you lose a lot. It does help to keep my (ageing) mind focussed on the point of the action I want to capture rather than a spray-shot approach. Does shooting continuous give any more assurance that one shot of a series will be the precise action you want? I can change! (This one today, the Carriage Driving Championships at Wandin, a team coming out of the quarry obstacle).

DSC_1550.jpg

.... I could nearly shoot over there today, where is it?

Sorry didn't see this til I got home. The Vic. Driving Champs went for three days, Dressage Sat, Marathon Sun, Cones Mon. This morning cones started early, finished by lunch time, trophy presentations after lunch. Wandin was a lovely venue, it was supposed to be held at Catani, but in week-one of the bushfires, Catani had to say look we'd best not commit to hosting a big event with this-all happening close by. So they switched to Wandin Park, it's well along Victoria Road off Wbtn. Hwy. which was looking safer earlier on.

National Champs are in Bungendore (near Canberra) 11-13 April (could be Easter) that would be good to watch.

... - the majority turn out blurry and/or OOF. ...

Only guessing Iltby, but as your still subject shots are in focus, it's likely your moving ones are as well. And the OOF effect is more likely camera shake if using hand-held. I know I can't rely on hand-held, my hands are not steady enough, so I depend on a monopod or tripod for camera stability. A moving subject does not allow that extra moment preparing to be pin-sharp steady. Some people can do it, I know I can't.

Also saw another interesting thing on a Scott Kelby clip today: you know with a VR lens (I don't have many) you turn the VR to OFF when using a tripod. They said you should also always turn the VR to OFF when hand-holding shooting sports or action with shutter speed above 500. Reason given is that using VR does always create a moment of shutter-lag. I sat up and took notice of that, because overcoming shutter-lag is a main reason to use a DSLR above a point-and-shoot. But using VR to avoid camera-shake blur is a bit pointless if instead you always get the 'wrong shot' even if it is the tiniest lag. Interesting stuff - his new clips on camera use, separate from the "Photoshop Guys", are very good.

Guest Tess32

best thing I ever did for action was to seperate the shutter button from my focus button.....then you can track with the * button and press the shutter when you want to.

Thanks Rubiton.

Thanks very much Kja, I guess it's just a matter of experimenting with various settings and seeing what works for you.

PC, some definitely turn out OOF - often I have the ground or background in focus or the body is rather than the head - I think I must be too slow to focus a lot of the time, or I'm still getting used to AI Servo/not using it properly. Will definitely give the tripod a go though, can't hurt to use it I guess. I'm afraid I can't figure out what VR stands for though :rolleyes: Thanks for the advice!

I didn't realise you could do that Nat, will definitely check it out.

Edited by iltby

Thanks Rubiton.

Thanks very much Kja, I guess it's just a matter of experimenting with various settings and seeing what works for you.

PC, some definitely turn out OOF - often I have the ground or background in focus or the body is rather than the head - I think I must be too slow to focus a lot of the time, or I'm still getting used to AI Servo/not using it properly. Will definitely give the tripod a go though, can't hurt to use it I guess. I'm afraid I can't figure out what VR stands for though :rolleyes: Thanks for the advice!

I didn't realise you could do that Nat, will definitely check it out.

VR is the Nikon equivalent of IS.

On the Canon lenses, you don't need to turn off IS when on a tripod or mopnopod - the lens detects it (well, series II IS does anyway).