Help, I Just Found A Lump On Sophies Inside Lip

dianed

My 11 year old GSD Sophie hasn't wanted to come for a walk the last few days. I noticed a few days ago she was a bit quiet so before I did a body search for lumps and bumps. I found this lump on the inside of her upper lip, the best way i can describe it is a black cluster about 2 cm round. I rang the vet and have appointment at 9am tomorrow. Has anyone seen this problem before, 2 1/2 years ago Sophie had Hemagiosarcoma of the spleen.I hope its not cancerous, but i have a funny feeling it is. It doesnt look like its attached to anything except the very thin skin on the top lip.

Hopefully it will be nothing at all - don't worry til you have too. I know it is hard but the dogs pick up on our stress...

Good luck at the vet tomorrow...

Thanks will try, have a dentist app at 4.30 so that will take my mind of it. You do tend to panic when you only have 4 legged kids.

Sophie had the growth on her inner lip removed today. The vet said it was a melanoma, shes home now and sleeping. I took a photo of it but havent figured out how to downsize it. I thought it would be good for future reference. The best way to describe it is that it looked like a black truffle! Thanks everyone

Hi Staffyluv, she,s ok today,tired but eating and we have been for a short walk. She had a growth (not a melanoma) removed from her foot as well and that has caused more concern for her than the mouth wound, hobbling around holding her leg up with a bandage like a big boot on her foot. Ive taken that off and she,s much happier.

Yesterday I found what looks like the start of another melanoma on the soft skin just below her nose, the vet should have picked it up. I,m still waiting for the test results but hopefully this small one can be removed with a local.

Just an update on Sophies growths on her inner lip and toe. Yes they where malignant melanomas, but the vet was able to cut all the growths out. So as soon as I am able( I had a run in on Sunday with a 500kg cow and came of second best, thanks to my 2year old gsd Pepper I was able to get away and live to tell the tale) she will be in for the removal of the small one i found on her outer upper lip. I,m sure it has grown since I found it. Will post about Pepper and her distracting the cow when I can type better.