Vets All Natural 'allerblend' Premium Choice...

Just curious as to whether or not anyone has ever tried this?

I never realised they made a 'wet' food, the only product I was familiare with is there dried 'bird food' like mix thats designed to be fed with raw meats.

This product is said to be 'better then BARF', though I think would work out more $$$ then the Patties....

If anyone has tried it and would like to share some feedback Im deffinately interested.

I have one very elderly rescue boy here who cant have bones, for a few reasons but the main being he has virtually no teeth in his head!

I have been feeding the chicken BARF for quite some time, its the only flavour I feed, together with royal canin breed specific and other bits such as sardines, yoghurt, chicken wing tips etc etc

It may very well be a case of 'if it isnt broken dont fix it', but sometimes I look at my old boy watching the others eat things he cant have and would like to offer him something different and a 'bit special' too. Something just for him :)

This product is Kangaroo based so I assume would be suitable for his allergies.

If you go to the following link, and select the top option 'Premium choice' there will be info about this product.

http://www.vetsallnatural.net/products.html

It is apparently around $8 for a 800g packet :laugh:

Edited by Kyla_QLD_Cavalier_rescue

I have looked at stocking it but as you said it would be more expensive than the barf. The packs are 800g - not 1 kg. The barf also comes in 800g baby barf chubs that sell for $5.00 (roo is $6.00) and as you know there are no grains in Barf.

Would be interested in seeing other comments about it too.

eta: they don't need teeth with Barf either, it is minced up - no chewing required. My old boy had no problems eating it, wings and necks - he was missing quite a few teeth too.

Give it a go, he might enjoy the change. :)

Edited by Andisa

I have looked at stocking it but as you said it would be more expensive than the barf. The packs are 800g - not 1 kg. The barf also comes in 800g baby barf chubs that sell for $5.00 (roo is $6.00) and as you know there are no grains in Barf.

Would be interested in seeing other comments about it too.

Andisa do you have any info on why it is apparently better then BARF? Everyone that I have spoken to has made that claim, but none of them seem to know why :)

What exactly are the 'Baby Barf Chubs' that you mentioned???

I am very new to this range of products, but as I said love the DR B BARF patties and feed them daily. I just happened to pick up a pamphlet of this companies today and noticed they have products other then that grain mix stuff and that got me curious :laugh:

Edited by Kyla_QLD_Cavalier_rescue

Nothing wrong with it, I have fed both. I stock the VaN complete mix and alternate when I feel like it, but mostly I am too lazy so just feed the barf with their bones.

I can take photos of the chubs if you like, they are new on the market so not sure how many people are stocking it. There is also 3kg pkt of Big Barf only in combo. Packed in a single bag no other packaging - 3 kg mass.

I think like all foods - they all claim to be better. I don't care either way as long as it's fresh and raw.

(sp?)

Edited by Andisa

I use VAN dry mix to feed all my dogs and they really love it.

For the puppies I breed myself they start on VAN when they are 8 weeks old with no difficulties.

Sometimes I buy in a pup or an adult dog and I have no problems transferring them over on to VAN either.

It seems to be very readily accepted.

I have also tried them on the refrigerated VAN meat mix and they love that too however, as you say, it is more expensive.

I did try them on the BARF patties but I had several dogs that refuse it! It doesn't seem to be as well received as the VAN.

I add minced chicken frames, kangaroo meat, sardines, eggs, or whatever to the dry mix. They are lining up at the door come dinner time and their bowls are always licked clean. They also maintain excellent condition.

What I especially like is that it actually smells nice and it doesn't make the dogs want to rush to the water bowl after eating.

Nothing wrong with it, I have fed both. I stock the VaN complete mix and alternate when I feel like it, but mostly I am too lazy so just feed the barf with their bones.

I can take photos of the chubs if you like, they are new on the market so not sure how many people are stocking it. There is also 3kg pkt of Big Barf only in combo. Packed in a single bag no other packaging - 3 kg mass.

I think like all foods - they all claim to be better. I don't care either was as long as it's fresh and raw.

If you wouldnt mind taking a photo (when you have time) Id really appreciate it.

The store I buy my BARF from hasnt mentioned any new products, and there certainly wasnt anything new in their freezer this morning :)

They did tell me it was going to have a fairly decent price rise fairly soon though to over $20 a box.

The combo flavour is a mix of all meats isnt it?

I have tried a few other flavours and they either refused to eat it, or they got the runs from it.

Now we just buy chicken flavour :laugh:

Stitch - my dogs are in reverse to yours when it comes to barf and van. I found that I had to use half the amount or they refused to eat it.

Do you mix the recommended amount of meat/bone to the VaN?

I think like all foods - they all claim to be better. I don't care either was as long as it's fresh and raw.

If you wouldnt mind taking a photo (when you have time) Id really appreciate it.

The store I buy my BARF from hasnt mentioned any new products, and there certainly wasnt anything new in their freezer this morning :)

They did tell me it was going to have a fairly decent price rise fairly soon though to over $20 a box.

The combo flavour is a mix of all meats isnt it?

I have tried a few other flavours and they either refused to eat it, or they got the runs from it.

I will get photos soon for you. God I hope there are no more price increases, I have not long caught up with the last one - I was selling for $18 a pkt until the last few months, now sell for $20. So far I have not heard of any new price rise.

Yes - combo is Chicken, beef, lamb and pork all combined together.

Have not heard of any one having trouble with the other varieties. Mine have different ones all the time.

I have been feeding them VAN for several years now.

I have gradually manipulated the % of VAN I use and now probably use a little bit less than they recommend on the pack.

I have not noticed any reduction in the overall health of the dogs because of this and the amount of calcium they get is definitely sufficient.

I use the added kangaroo meat because it is higher in calcium content.

I phoned them and this is what they suggested to feed rather than all minced chicken frames and it works well.

I have been feeding them VAN for several years now.

I have gradually manipulated the % of VAN I use and now probably use a little bit less than they recommend on the pack.

I have not noticed any reduction in the overall health of the dogs because of this and the amount of calcium they get is definitely sufficient.

I use the added kangaroo meat because it is higher in calcium content.

I phoned them and this is what they suggested to feed rather than all minced chicken frames and it works well.

Thanks for explaining this to me. I find most people don't use the suggested amounts of the Van with meats/bone as the dogs don't seem to like it - but are fine once the amount of VaN is decreased.

As I said - I don't care either way - as long as it is fresh and raw. :)

It contains cereals which I personally think is a big no no in any form.

Also has yeast added which I would be wary of for dogs that over produce yeast.

Not sure about them adding calcium supplements instead of crushed bones.

You could easily mix up some kangaroo, minced chicken carcuss, offal & veggies and hey presto.

Here they are. :cool:

012-2.jpg

011-2.jpg

Andisa thankyou HEAPS for you time in taking the photo!

Wowee that is better value then getting the individual patties in the box! I have 8 kids here at the moment and those Baby Barf Chubs would be significantly better value.

I really hope my store starts to stock them soon!!!

Where are you at out of curiosity, Im guessing absolutely nowhere near me :)

I find it more economical to make my own - although I have started buying the Dr B's BARF chicken patties for Cherry.

Kyla, I went to Purcell's butcher yesterday (on Sandgate Rd in Virginia) and they have beef mince (not pet mince) for $4 a kg and minced chicken offal for a $1-$2 a bag (must have been 1-2kgs a bag). So much cheaper than buying the BARF patties and it doesn't take long to make a mixture up. I was really excited about finding the minced offal as that is going to make it even easier (and less yucky) to make up my own mixture.

Edited by huski

Andisa thankyou HEAPS for you time in taking the photo!

Wowee that is better value then getting the individual patties in the box! I have 8 kids here at the moment and those Baby Barf Chubs would be significantly better value.

I really hope my store starts to stock them soon!!!

Where are you at out of curiosity, Im guessing absolutely nowhere near me :laugh:

:) Yep - way down south. If I thought we were close by I would have pm'd you - wouldn't want to be accused of doing sales on here.

Just ask them to get them in for you - if they don't know about them their distributor may not have it in, but they should.

But as puggy puggy said - you can always make up your own. :) would be much cheaper since you have 8 to feed.

Then again I am feeding 1 adult Rottweiler and her 2 - 5mth old pups and an adult pug.

ETA: oops forgot my manners - no worries Kyla. :cool: :cheer:

Edited by Andisa

I find it more economical to make my own - although I have started buying the Dr B's BARF chicken patties for Cherry.

Kyla, I went to Purcell's butcher yesterday (on Sandgate Rd in Virginia) and they have beef mince (not pet mince) for $4 a kg and minced chicken offal for a $1-$2 a bag (must have been 1-2kgs a bag). So much cheaper than buying the BARF patties and it doesn't take long to make a mixture up. I was really excited about finding the minced offal as that is going to make it even easier (and less yucky) to make up my own mixture.

Huski about 18 months ago, maybe a bit longer I joined one of the yahoo groups that are all about RAW feeding. I got a few different recipees to have a go at making my own mix and ended up with constipated dogs after every attempt. Or, some would eat it and some wouldnt.

The other painfull thing is I have some that can only eat chicken, one that couldnt eat any chicken, one that was prone to impactions etc etc

I did try for a few months with different recipees and in the end chucked my arms in the air, yelled a bit and decided Id just feed the Dr B chicken patties as everyone but one could eat them (BTW Mr I cant eat chicken has a new home now :)

It isnt cheap but I just couldnt come up with anything that was suitable for everyone on my own.

I would like to try again but really dont know if it is worth it now.

They LOVE the BARF patties and they seem to maintain decent weights, whereas when I fed more my own mix they put on weight.

The money doesnt worry me but im always looking for 'new ideas' and other things to try. Especially if there is something even better available.

They currently get half a BARF pattie a day, Royal Canin breed specific food and extras (not everyday) like chicken wing tips, turkey necks, veal ribs (for those who can eat them) and venison when its cheap at the New Farm markets as well as sardines, yoghurt etc etc

I would just really like to find another option for my old boy so when the others are eating bones and he is watching longingly I can give him something 'special' too. Its probably more for my sake then his as it makes me really sad (and pathetic).

It needs to be soft though as he seriously does have barely a tooth in his head. Im not talking, has a few missing, he honestly barely has ANY!

Thankyou for everyones info and advice so far too :laugh:

Oh that sucks Kyla... I have had problems with Cherry too. She can't stomach red meat.

Purcell's also have chicken wing tips for about $2 a kg, I got a huge tray yesterday for just over a dollar. Perfect size for Cherry and the cat :)

Before that there was only one butcher I knew who had them and they came on tiny trays and weren't always in stock.

Purcell's also have chicken wing tips for about $2 a kg, I got a huge tray yesterday for just over a dollar. Perfect size for Cherry and the cat :)

Before that there was only one butcher I knew who had them and they came on tiny trays and weren't always in stock.

Really?? :laugh:

I will go over tommorrow then and get some! I dont live all that far away from there anyway.

In the past I have never been able to find anyone who just has the tips so id buy the full wings either at Woolies or Lennards, give them the tips and then make 101 different types of marinated BBQ wings for us hoomans with the remainders :cool:

Im really not fussed with anything thats on a bone to eat myself so this is music to my ears lol