Puppy Grooming (a Pom)

Hello Everyone

I have a Pomeranian puppy and just want a few tips so I dont get him scared of being washed, dryed and brushed.

I have washed him a few times now and at first he wanted to get out of the tub. Last night when I did it he actually stood still which was great. I kept talking in an encouraging way, telling him how clean he would be when we were done lol.

Next I take him out and place him on a towel next to the washing basin (doesnt have to move far but is now standing on a washing machine). I let him shake himself off a bit after i towel him.

Then I get the hairdryer out of blow dry on low heat high fan (I keep my hand under where Im drying so I know he isnt getting burnt). Now this is where he wiggles around a fair bit. he isnt scared of what Im doing. But he is just impatient and doesnt really like the dryer on his face.

Any tips on how to get him to keep still and like/tolerate the drying? I have tried treats (dog biscuits and Smacko's) but he doesnt really care for them.

Also when I try to brush him he turns it into a 'bite the brush and hand that uses it' game lol.

I dont want him to get big and fluffy and not be able to sit still to be groomed.

Mr Fluffy is about 11wks old.

Any tips?

post-28469-1237591240_thumb.jpg

Edited by bobchic

He is such a cutie :thumbsup:

I am not a groomer, just do my own dog, but I think you are doing very well having him behave for that long - he is still very young and just wants to play, not stand still and be dried :)

I don't know what a professional would suggest, I tend to hold my TD's muzzle gently when I'm drying around his face and try and shield his eyes and ears from the air blast.

I do give treats after a bath/dry/clip session - TD likes dried meat treats (kangaroo, fish, liver). But most of all he loves praise and attention.

With the bite the brush and the hand game I just stop all movement and TD usually stops it. TD has been with us for around 7 months now, and he has been getting better with the whole process every time I do it.

I am thinking of getting a stand for the dryer so I can have two hands free.

I might try covering his face when I blow dry him. That could help..

Thanks heaps.. Your little one looks so cute in your pics!!

Whats the best way to trim the claws without doing any damage and the puppy squirming too much?

Thanks

Trim claws when the dog is relaxed and sleepy.

I wouldn't bath the pup to often, there is no need.

Blow dry with the dog facing away from the air flow, you don't need to blow dry the face.

Tell him NO when he bites the brush and use one hand to hold him still and the other to do the brushing.

Dogs & especially puppies don't need to be bathed that much. It's only the show dogs that would be if they go to shows every week or so. You will strip his coat of the natural oils & make his skin dry. By 11 weeks I would imagine the breeder would have bathed him b4 you got him at 8 weeks & he may or may not have needed another one now.

I have a friend who has German Spitz dogs, who are similar to poms only bigger & she once told me that they rarely need bathing, only a good brush/combing 2-3 times a week.

I find with my dogs, border collie, past & present that they get more of a doggy odour if I bathe them every 2 weeks in summer than the baths they get/got b4 & after winter.

He's very cute btw.

Edited by luvsdogs

Be 'firm but fair' that's the advice I was given when I got my standard. This is not a game, it is not negotiable and our long haired friends need to be taught to stand still and comply with directions and if you are gentle, but firm, with practice and time the dog will come to enjoy the one on one time spent with you.

When our boy was young we use to have toilet breaks often when grooming. A puppy that needs to go to the toilet can't possibly concentrate on the job at hand.

A play session before bathing/grooming is helpful when they are young too. It just helps to take the edge off, don't completely wear the pup out or else she won't be able to stand when you need her too. But it's helpful to have a slightly more compliant puppy that's more likely to do what you ask, therefore giving you more opportunity to treat for the right behaviour making it all a positive experience.

I don't know if this is a no no, but T also had/still has a grooming toy. He can only have this when he is on the table, it keeps his mouth occupied and he will stand/lay down for ages while he is playing with his toy.

Anyway that's what I did with my boy and we have quite enjoyable grooming sessions now. He will get onto the grooming table and into the hydrobath with no fuss at all and clipping his f,f & t is becoming easier every week.