Tilba's Spay

I've been dreading this but it had to be done eventually. :eek: I'd read how it was beneficial to let her mature & have a heat 1st. Which I did. She's now 14 mths old & had her heat last Nov.

She was done today & I picked her up at 6 p.m. She's been so restless & will hardly lie down & rest. She keeps wandering around, crying & just stands. As of the past hour she's slept for about 20 mins & is unsettled again.

She has to wear an elizabethan collar because she wouldn't leave the stitches alone. She hates it but I thinik she's become resigned to it.

The only highlight of her day was when I gave her her dinner.

I had planned putting her crate next to my bed but because I don't trust her with her stitches it's not real comfortable wearing the collar.

On top of all of this, when I rang this afternoon to see how she was the vet said she had a problem with her skin. They found 9 fleas on her & pustules over her stomach & groin area. She didn't have fleas yesterday when I bathed her, there was no blood in the water from flea dirt. :thumbsup: Although she was very itchy afterwards, more so than b4 her bath. So she's come home with a course of antibiotics.

Any advice on how to cope with this awkward time would be much appreciated. The only thing they told me when I picked her up was to come in for a check up in 3 days & to be in touch if there was any weeping or swelling. I didn't have a look at her wound until we got home. I think she's been trying to scratch it & it looks a little red.

I think she wants to settle but just can't. Look like we're in for a long night. I'm beginning to think I should have left her there over night except they told me there was only someone there until midnight. That meant 9 hours alone.

Its hard to see them after a spay if they are unsettled and of course not themselves.

Im no expert but I remember after Nooki was spayed she was a little like this aswell.

We made her as comfortable as we could and kept a close eye on her. luckily we didnt have to use one of those funnel things but it was harder to stop her licking the stitches, so although it looks uncomfy, she will be better off (which you probably know)

So yeah, we just made her as comfy as possible.

She will feel better tomorrow :thumbsup: and so will you :eek:

ETA - i remember spooning Nooki when she laid down to keep her there and to comfort her......

i think it made me feel better having her so close aswell

Edited by huskyheaven

Thanks HH & Ravyk. Socks, I think that was a quick idea through my mind at one stage. Even though she has the e-collar on she can still stand up & scratch at her belly. So may have to do that & hope she keeps them on. On another forum it was recommended to use an old t shirt, cut a hole for the tail & tie the ends so she can't get it off.

I had her sleep next to my bed last night & had to take her out at 2, 5.30 & up at 8.

Now its a matter of keeping her from walking around too much & resting. She has a bad razor rash where the pustules are & at times really worrying her so I give her tummy a scratch for her.

You can also vet wrap the back feet for the same purpose. Piper had a hot spot on her belly once and that is what the vet did to stop her scratching it. Her tummy soon stopped bothering her s she thought someone had broken her legs and couldn't work out how to walk! :laugh:

luvsdogs in a few days time you will be wondering how to keep her quiet, they bounce back so quickly.

The first night after a spay is hard. I had my girl done recently. She was okay until the pain killer wore off, but then, god...did she make me feel like the worst person in the world! She lay on the couch, groaning constantly, and looking up at me, and shaking...all this from a bitch we call "Miss Unflappable." I sat with her half the night, just holding a wrapped cold pack on her little pink belly as it seemed to soothe the pain a bit.

By morning, she was completely back to normal. But the next time, I'm going to insist on some take-home pain meds!

Update on Tilba-

Beginning of day 3. When I looked at Tilba's wound this morning it looked a lot lumpier. I was deciding whether to call the vet to see if I needed to have it checked. Then oh said he had to go to work early. So I had another look& it didn't seem as bad as I 1st thought. But I did find 3 fleas. So I decided it was time to put Advantage on her.

I took the e-collar off to put the Advantage on & while I was putting the tube in the bin she started licking the incision. So back on went the collar.

After lunch I checked again & between 2 loops of the stitches it was weeping a small patch of light red blood. When my son came home from work I asked hi if I could use his car to take her to the vet if needed. I rang the vets & explained the situation & the nurse asked the vet & he said I could wait until our scheduled visit tomorrow.

In the mean time she's been having like fits of wanting to scratch a terrible itch & can't quite reach. I've checked her out & can't find any more fleas although she does have a few scabs from their bites I'm guessing.

Day 4. The incision has stopped weeping & there's dried blood along the line.

The redness of the pustules has greatly reduced but she's still has the occasional fit of wanting to scratch. I've put some acv on the worst spots.

Off to the vets soon & will report what he thinks.

good to hear luvsdogs :laugh:

Im thinking if i had an itch and my hands were tied behind my back for 7 days I would be doing anything i could to scratch it dammit!! I guess Tilba is doing the same thing. poor baby, but she will be just fine really soon :rolleyes: