Poor Ruby Is Crook Again

If only it had lasted.

Ruby's been miserable again...

Went off to vet again and described symptoms (latest round of symptoms), which were vomiting, skin red all over, scratching again...this suggests a food allergy.

Began elimination diet of cooked fish and sweet potato - did this for one week in which time symptoms abated somewhat. Re-introduced raw chicken, her skin reddened same day, then the vomiting and scratching started again. So we conclude she's allergic to chicken, back to fish and sweet potato.

Will see the vet again on the weekend...

The lame leg is worse again too. This leads me to think that perhaps the lameness is partially caused by the food allergy but I'm not sure. The allergy has definitely caused inflammation so it's possible the two are linked.

I feel so sorry for this dog - she's not had the best luck when it comes to health issues. :thumbsup:

Poor Ruby, she really has been through the mill hasn't she. Lucky she is loved by you!

Immune mediated things can be a bit of a bugger to isolate, and food allergies can make them very miserable! I had a dog that in her last 4 years could only eat Eukanuba Fish and Potato. Not a think extra, a small treat would have her with the worst upset tummy! A piece of chicken would have the same effect. Even tinned sardines were a no-no.

I hope she doesn't have a infectious arthritis going on in her hock, ouch!

Sending lots of healing and feel better vibes to Ruby.

Ruby's just come back from having X-rays this morning. Unfortunately, she's ruptured her cruciate ligament. :laugh:

Once the mange and allergies are "controlled", she needs surgery. Of course, this is expensive but necessary...

Bugger. Perhaps this is what has been wrong with her legs all along?

Ruby's just come back from having X-rays this morning. Unfortunately, she's ruptured her cruciate ligament. :)

Once the mange and allergies are "controlled", she needs surgery. Of course, this is expensive but necessary...

Bugger. Perhaps this is what has been wrong with her legs all along?

Nope, the other leg's problem was confirmed by a joint tap and X-rays. She's just a miserably unlucky dog. :love:

The surgery isn't cheap either...around $1000 so we need to start saving. :laugh:

Once it's been operated on, she's not allowed to exercise for 2 mths...try telling her that though. :laugh: