Beagle Problems

Hi guys

I am tired of struggling with my male beagle. I have two, male and female and both 4 years old. Female has been desexed not the male. I have had no issues with him, but lately he is driving me up the walls and I am sure it is something to do with the arrival of our first bub in a month, that is causing all of this. Don't know. I am at wits end. He gets walked daily and has many toys.

The issue started last week, he is digging his way under neath our fencing to the neighbours two dogs and then plays with them. They have a boxer & labrador, luckily good tempered dogs. My husband has dug up the grass on the mutual fence and placed sold wood planks underneath the fencing, to stop him from getting through, in effect just making the fencing run a bit deeper into the grass. He still finds a spot to dig. He was good for a few days and then today we come home and he's playiing next door with his friends. My husband and I are very very frustrated and not sure what to do. He's never been like this, except when he was a puppy. Beagles will be beagles of course, but Leo's timing is just so perfect. I have a baby to think of at this stage and he is causing all this nonsense.

Any tips advise, would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers

D

When hubby gets home in the arvie he takes them for a walk and sometimes even a swim in the creek we have at the back of our house. Probably a good 20-30min walk. Toys range from chewies, that I just got a new pack for them and a range of balls, soft toys etc. I am sensing this is more than likely boredom, but why now, he has never been like this? Is he looking for more company, don't know.

Another thing we started doing from about 2 weeks ago is to not let them on the couches or in the rooms any more. They are to stay on the floor or in their bed that we got them, which they have been using pretty well.

Hi guys

I am tired of struggling with my male beagle. I have two, male and female and both 4 years old. Female has been desexed not the male. I have had no issues with him, but lately he is driving me up the walls and I am sure it is something to do with the arrival of our first bub in a month, that is causing all of this. Don't know. I am at wits end. He gets walked daily and has many toys.

The issue started last week, he is digging his way under neath our fencing to the neighbours two dogs and then plays with them. They have a boxer & labrador, luckily good tempered dogs. My husband has dug up the grass on the mutual fence and placed sold wood planks underneath the fencing, to stop him from getting through, in effect just making the fencing run a bit deeper into the grass. He still finds a spot to dig. He was good for a few days and then today we come home and he's playiing next door with his friends. My husband and I are very very frustrated and not sure what to do. He's never been like this, except when he was a puppy. Beagles will be beagles of course, but Leo's timing is just so perfect. I have a baby to think of at this stage and he is causing all this nonsense.

Could he be a bit bored? If you and your partner are busy with your baby's arrival could you be spending less time with him than normal, and he is looking for stimulation in other ways? I know it must be frustrating, but please remember he's not doing it intentionally.

Also... is there a reason he's not desexed? Entire dogs can be more likely feel the urge to wander.

If he is a being a serious escape artist and you have addressed the boredom issue you could look into an electric fencing system to encourage him to stop digging. I'm sure some of the posters who are a bit more experienced with containment system could give you some suggestions.

Is it possible that there is an entire bitch in the yard next door? Or an entire bitch in the neighbourhood that is on heat? Desexing would help if this is the cause.

Are the dogs spending less time with you of late?

Is the only issue the digging or are there other problem behaviours?

ETA It is highly unlikely that he is 'jealous' of the impending baby. If there are changes to his life/ environment at the moment- he is simply responding to these. Shame you're not in Melbourne as a When Freddy Meets fido session would probably really assist you. : )

Edited by Cosmolo

We spoke to the neighbours and her bitch is desexed as well.

The dogs might be spending a tiny bit less with me of late, since we aren't allowing them on the furniture and stuff any more, but I still give them lots of cuddles and attention when I can. I am wondering if he is feeling leftout wanting attention maybe, with us shouting at him when he jumps on the couch to get off, on the odd occassion if he is on the couch. Because normally we are all on the couch pretty much and he'll always be the one close to one of us or on one of our laps, he is a lot more attention driven than my Ruby, now that I think about it. Always coming up to you and demanding to be loved. Maybe we have been spending less time with him, and not really realising it.

We spoke to the neighbours and her bitch is desexed as well.

The dogs might be spending a tiny bit less with me of late, since we aren't allowing them on the furniture and stuff any more, but I still give them lots of cuddles and attention when I can. I am wondering if he is feeling leftout wanting attention maybe, with us shouting at him when he jumps on the couch to get off, on the odd occassion if he is on the couch. Because normally we are all on the couch pretty much and he'll always be the one close to one of us or on one of our laps, he is a lot more attention driven than my Ruby, now that I think about it. Always coming up to you and demanding to be loved. Maybe we have been spending less time with him, and not really realising it.

If he's been on the coach every day for the last five years it's going to be pretty tough on him to learn the new ground rules. He is probably a bit confused as to why you are shouting at him for doing something that he has always been allowed and encouraged to do.

Especially if he is a bit of an attention seeker, he sounds like he has found another outlet to get the attention and company he is after.

Edited by huski

He is pretty obedient regarding the couch thing. Took him about a day, and he is rarely on the couch. If he is, then it's just a quick "off" then he is on the floor again. I probably just need some patience and get him desexed anyways.

He is pretty obedient regarding the couch thing. Took him about a day, and he is rarely on the couch. If he is, then it's just a quick "off" then he is on the floor again. I probably just need some patience and get him desexed anyways.

The tricky thing with the escaping is that now he knows how to do it and has been rewarded for it (in that he escapes and gets to play with other dogs) I imagine it will be hard to break him of the habit.

We have timber slabs and bricks dug under our fence so that the dogs can't dig out, we're lucky though as none of them have ever been diggers :thumbsup:

at 5 years of age desexing will make minimal difference, frankly unless he's causing problems I wouldnt rush to make it the saviour of your issues

You can try getting an electric fence kit for a while, a little temp fence low to the ground to discourage him from trying to get to the fence and then leave a dummy string.

I would let him have set play dates with the dogs next door as well to get his excitement out. Its exciting because its over there - becomes a common occurance and a pattern he might stop the digging

Rotate his toys, find ones that really float his boat - there are toys by Prestige Pet that you can record your voice, they bark or make animal noises. Also whack his food in treat balls (the triple crown ones I find are very good) and he only gets fed from those - food soon overtakes the need to dig.

As for his holes, a bit of fresh doggy poo and some citronella crytals in the common spots will discourage him as well

Any ideas for a fencing system? My hubby will probably want to make one, he is a tradie and loves to make things and will save some money as well.

Just worried, that if he is like this now with not getting enough attention, what is he going to be like once bubs is here? I don't even want to think about it :thumbsup:

one method is to bury strong wire or even weldmesh radiating a couple of feed under the ground at the base of the fence. Dog can dig but cant get too far. Concrete sleepers at the end of the mesh will keep the little bugger from finding the edge of the mesh and digging at that

Electric - well I used a speedrite power pack (plugs in) used the movable plastic rods that you just push in the ground and have clips at varying levels, and white shock string. Cost me about $230 in total for my huge backyard. Earth rod you can pick up for free in the junk yard you just need a steel rod (or 3 for really dry gound) and hammer them deep in to the ground ... oh yeah away from your underground pipes :thumbsup:

babies dont mean no attention, and it shouldnt mean the end of the world if the dog is already accepting of its status. Pushy dogs allowed to get away with things are going to become pushier - so dont let him get his way. Also teaching them that baby is off limits and that baby time is not push in time will make life easier. Dont go pushing the baby under the dogs nose - its not their business. This way you wont stress and they will make their own fun.

Like I said interactive toys are a better way then static toys. Play dates also help alleviate stress.

DSC00442.jpg

here is my ping string set up ... Its been turned off for months :) best thing is its non invasive, quick to set up and relocatable. You can sell off the power pack for almost what you bought it too but they're worth keeping.

you should have farm and rural supplies, they will have the speedrite parts. Conversely contact Speedrite and they will let you know who the local distributors are

ETA some farm supplies still use the Thunderbird systems (different brand) which are just as good. Oh and white ping string is the best because the dogs learn white string = no go and so then you can just start using normal string in other areas :) I did that with the vege garden

Edited by Nekhbet

So does it all come in a kit already or do you just get the Speedrite engergiser from the shop and then set up your own ping string. My apologies for all the questions. Just wanna make sure I get everything. Going to have a look during mylunch and see what I can find.

thats OK! you get the power pack on its own, get a roll of string and then get either the insulated brackets that screw into the fence or the repositionable plastic poles with the clips - mix and match :)

depends on your yard you buy as many poles as you need and cut the string to length. If the poles have a little trouble staying upright due to tension I cable tied them to a few places along the fence :)

slight hijack..

nekhbet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how dare you show off such a surfeit of green growing stuff in your yard!!!!!!!!!!! :) :)

I am very envious!:cheer:

*resume normal programming*

That electric fence setup looks ideal for the boundary-busting beagle!! :cheer:

Edited by persephone