Grass Eating

laeral

My GSD is 2 years old. She has been on a Barf diet for almost a year now.

She seems really healthy and happy, her coat is fantastic and she has heaps of energy :dropjaw:

My only concern is the amount of grass she eats. I know it is normal for dogs to eat a certain amount of grass, but she seems to eat a lot. Her favourite place is up at my mums place, she will happily graze there for ages. I have even seen her in the horse paddock grazing with the horses :laugh:

her poos lately have had a fair amount of undigested grass in them. They kind of look stringy (sorry for the description).

I am starting to worry that there is something I am missing with her diet.

Currently she gets:

AM - Lamb necks, chicken frames, chicken wings or various beef bones.

PM - (per week) vegie slops 5 x, sardines 1x, kidney/liver 2 x, kanagroo meat 5 x

Additives - fish oil, Evening Primrose oil (to help with the itchies), yoghurt or cottage cheese and ACV.

her vegies slops usually consist of silver beet, zucchini, tomato, alfalfa sprouts, carrots, capsicum (minus the seeds) plus some apple/banana and the occasional broccoli and pumpkin.

Does this seem balanced enough or could there be some reason for her grass eating?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Oh and she doesnt thow up after eating the grass either.

My GSD is 2 years old. She has been on a Barf diet for almost a year now.

She seems really healthy and happy, her coat is fantastic and she has heaps of energy :dropjaw:

My only concern is the amount of grass she eats. I know it is normal for dogs to eat a certain amount of grass, but she seems to eat a lot. Her favourite place is up at my mums place, she will happily graze there for ages. I have even seen her in the horse paddock grazing with the horses :laugh:

her poos lately have had a fair amount of undigested grass in them. They kind of look stringy (sorry for the description).

I am starting to worry that there is something I am missing with her diet.

Currently she gets:

AM - Lamb necks, chicken frames, chicken wings or various beef bones.

PM - (per week) vegie slops 5 x, sardines 1x, kidney/liver 2 x, kanagroo meat 5 x

Additives - fish oil, Evening Primrose oil (to help with the itchies), yoghurt or cottage cheese and ACV.

her vegies slops usually consist of silver beet, zucchini, tomato, alfalfa sprouts, carrots, capsicum (minus the seeds) plus some apple/banana and the occasional broccoli and pumpkin.

Does this seem balanced enough or could there be some reason for her grass eating?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Oh and she doesnt thow up after eating the grass either.

I'm not an expert but that sounds like an excellent diet so I dont think its related to that.

My foxy only eats grass when she wants to be sick so it will be interesting to hear of others stories

my aussie girl eats grass all the time. i used to worry; and i talked to my vvet about it. he says she is fine and ealthy.

i wouldnt worry too much. if it's constantly in your head and you are worried; give your vet a buzz?

Strange. It seems like a good diet. The only grass eaters I have come across ar those that are unwell, those that want to try and make themselves throw up and those that don't really get any veggies & fruit in their diet.

I would cut out the tomatoes studies have shown that they can be harmful to animals.

Both my dogs graze on grass daily and always have. They never throw up, now have a mainly raw diet and are otherwise in good condition.

They love going to the park at the moment where there are lovely tender new shoots of grass after finally getting some decent rains. They look like a couple of sheep grazing in the paddock :rolleyes:

I uesd to worry too that something was wrong or they were missing something in their diet but now I just think they like it.

Both my dogs graze on grass daily and always have. They never throw up, now have a mainly raw diet and are otherwise in good condition.

They love going to the park at the moment where there are lovely tender new shoots of grass after finally getting some decent rains. They look like a couple of sheep grazing in the paddock :rolleyes:

I uesd to worry too that something was wrong or they were missing something in their diet but now I just think they like it.

That made me laugh. I have seen my dog grazing like a sheep to.

Guess shes not alone :)