Desexing An Underweight Dog

Anna H

I had planned on getting Ollie desexed this Thursday, but I'm having a huge amount of trouble keeping weight on him at the moment no matter what I feed. He is a nearly 12 month old GSP, and never sits still for a moment!

He is what I would describe as 'ribby' and I'm a little worried about putting him in for desexing at a low-ish weight.

I know I could hold off desexing him until he is a little older and possibly more settled, but we are moving house in 2 weeks time and feel our current home is probably a lot more suitable for recovery (in terms of keeping him clean etc)

I'm not worried about him being lean - my other GSP was the same at that age.

More worried about the effects of the anesthetic, I've read here before that the skinny ones can take a bit longer to recover.

I guess it depends what anesthetic is used. I wouldn't worry to much about it. My BC girl was desexed last Tuesday and she is pretty ribby and came through fine. In fact compared to when we picked up my older girl to have a grass seed out (the year before last), she came home very groggy and certainly didn't try and jump into the car whereas Kenzie just bounced out of the surgery after being spayed and proceeded to jump into the car but I got to her just in time to lift her in.

I think your probably over worrying and I am sure he will be fine.

I have had a few rescue dogs too, and honestly, as long as your fellow is healthy he will cope just fine. As you are worried, I suggest you have a talk to your vet. about your concerns and I'm sure he/she will put your mind at rest. They have to adjust the amount of anaesthetic to suit each individual dog's weight anyway.