E - Collar Training

I have been using an e collar to train my GSD girl (with guidance from a trainer). We were having issues with recall and stock chasing.

Progress has been fantastic. She has excellent recall under mild distraction. Basicaly doesnt need the collar anymore. I am able to call her off some stock such as ducks, kangaroos etc. This is a big step for us! Chickens we will work on a little later :hug:

But it is time I got myself into gear and put some more effort into the training. I have become a little complacent over the last few months.

My aim for my dog is to be able to remove the collar altogether, for various reasons. So I would like some advice and discussion on where to go from here if I could.

My first two questions are:

1. Proofing. She has excellent recall with no to mild distractions. She really no longer needs the collar in these situations. I am not fully clear on what I should be doing regarding proofing. I have a good idea HOW to proof her thanks to the trainer I mentioned but Im unsure when to proof. Do I proof her as we progress in the training? for example proof her under no distraction then each time you build up the distractions. Or is this something you do at the end of the training when you are at a level that you are happy with? (clearly I dont fully understand the whole proofing concept!)

2. Distractions. I am having a hard time deciding on which distractions to start working through. Everything seems to have a high value for her. People arent a problem. Dogs, Kangaroos, chickens and Im guessing sheep (havent let her near one!) seem to have an equal value. Is it ok to just start working through them one by one?

If I had to chose an order I think it would be horses, dogs, kangaroos and then chickens. Horses we are pretty much on top of and she will listen to me even when the horses are running like loons so thats good. Now onto dogs. She is very distracted around strange dogs. I have started her at the park some distance from other dogs with some success. Getting closer is becoming problematic. Someone suggested going back to the long line, so that she has no choice but to obey. Is this what others would reccomend?

I believe I am now rambling, but if anyone has any suggestion regarding adding distractions, or ideas on what you have done I would really appreciated it :laugh:

Thanks

Midol is right Erny I am basically following Steves program. He was a great source of info and helped a lot at the start of our training.

Thanks for the link Sandgrubber. I have looked at Lou Castles website a few months ago, but didn't think to go back and have another look :cry: Will do that now.