Pseudomonas Chronic Ear Infection

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi again,

Well some good news - a anti-biotic which is related to Baytril but isn't baytril is senstive but has to be ordered in especially - so will start him on that on Monday. Also back on timentin drops - boy am I becoming an old hand at this! And his pain is under good control and he's much happier... so we have deferred the surgery decsion for the moment

So here's hoping this works.... and thank dog for wonderful vets who stick with you and don't give up (and thank dog for the cutest westie on the face of the planet who they all go gooey over!)

Cheers,

Westiemum :laugh:

Hi Everyone,

Well sadly for my stoic boy the pseudomonas is back - and with a vengeance. So he had a huge flush out under GA on Monday afternoon - and although it went well apparently the putrid rubbish that came out was incredible... the tympanic membrane is ruptured (and not in good shape anyway) and apparently there's evidence that the infection has been behind the ear drum all the time which explains why the wretched thing keeps coming back. In other words this is not just chronic ear infection but serious chronic middle ear disease.

We have done a culture again, results in today and it seems we are going to have trouble finding an oral medication this time which he isn't resistant to... but the vet is doing some research tonight and we'll talk tomorrow. In the meantime his pain is well controlled except when the dermotic drops are inserted in the ear (the pain behaviours all escalate and he's miserable...)

Hi Westiemum

I feel for you and your little man. Quite drastic measures in removing ear drum. Get your Vet to prescribe these oral medications.

Laboratory Culture and Sensitivity : Pseudomonus. Treatment - Topigen Ear Drops 20ml (2-5 drops 3 times daily for 7 days) and 45 mins later apply Chloromycetin Ear Drops .5% 5ml (4 drops 3 times for 7 days)

Betadine liquid clears up Pseudomonus, but I wouldn't advise pouring into the ear.

Do any of your dogs lick inside the other dogs ears, causing moisture to build in the canal. This is a favourite past time of many Westies.

I have served my apprenticeship with Westies since 1971 in all disciplines.

Best wishes

Cityslicker

www.talkingwesties.com

Hi again,

Well some good news - a anti-biotic which is related to Baytril but isn't baytril is senstive but has to be ordered in especially - so will start him on that on Monday. Also back on timentin drops - boy am I becoming an old hand at this! And his pain is under good control and he's much happier... so we have deferred the surgery decsion for the moment

So here's hoping this works.... and thank dog for wonderful vets who stick with you and don't give up (and thank dog for the cutest westie on the face of the planet who they all go gooey over!)

Cheers,

Westiemum :hitself:

That is good news, we have all fingers and paws crossed for you both!

Good to see you also have a great vet!

Goodluck :laugh:

Thanks very much for the info Cityslicker - much appreciated. Will discuss with the vet on Monday - I'm sure she'll be very interested. And I've just had a look at your website - and your dogs are absolutely beautiful!! Congratulations on such a lovely brood...

And thanks for the support rommimum - the ear is nowhere near as smelly as it was and he's happy although dozes a lot after being given his pain relief. He's currenty asleep with his head on my foot! I really love this boy... as a dog farm survivor he's really special and ahs such a lovely nature despite his history... so would be great to be able to cure this last hangover from his 'previous life'...

Thanks again and will let you know how we get on...

Cheers,

Westiemum :love:

ETA Cityslicker I haven't seen any of my westies licking the ears of the others - but will certainly keep it in mind... I think the moisture problem is due to stenotic canals from chronic untreated infections over many years before I got him... and the vet thinks its highly likely too - this canal is very narrow so I uspect it never aearates well... anyway lets see how this next lot of ttreatment goes... Thansk again... Wm/.

Hi Everyone,

Well sadly for my stoic boy the pseudomonas is back - and with a vengeance. So he had a huge flush out under GA on Monday afternoon - and although it went well apparently the putrid rubbish that came out was incredible... the tympanic membrane is ruptured (and not in good shape anyway) and apparently there's evidence that the infection has been behind the ear drum all the time which explains why the wretched thing keeps coming back. In other words this is not just chronic ear infection but serious chronic middle ear disease.

We have done a culture again, results in today and it seems we are going to have trouble finding an oral medication this time which he isn't resistant to... but the vet is doing some research tonight and we'll talk tomorrow. In the meantime his pain is well controlled except when the dermotic drops are inserted in the ear (the pain behaviours all escalate and he's miserable...)

Hi Westiemum

I feel for you and your little man. Quite drastic measures in removing ear drum. Get your Vet to prescribe these oral medications.

Laboratory Culture and Sensitivity : Pseudomonus. Treatment - Topigen Ear Drops 20ml (2-5 drops 3 times daily for 7 days) and 45 mins later apply Chloromycetin Ear Drops .5% 5ml (4 drops 3 times for 7 days)

Betadine liquid clears up Pseudomonus, but I wouldn't advise pouring into the ear.

Do any of your dogs lick inside the other dogs ears, causing moisture to build in the canal. This is a favourite past time of many Westies.

I have served my apprenticeship with Westies since 1971 in all disciplines.

Best wishes

Cityslicker

www.talkingwesties.com

Edited by westiemum

Sorry to hear you're having a hiccup Westiemum :happydance:

A total ear ablation is a big deal (as I'm sure you're aware) but sometimes it's the best way to make a dog comfortable - even though it's not something to be taken lightly. Like I have said before, it sounds like your vet is on the ball so I'll send anti-bacterial wishes your way that it doesn't come to surgery. I will say though, in the case of chronic ear infections - there is nothing like having a dedicated owner who is committed to the treatment. Best of luck with it, I know how frustrating they can be - don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions or need moral support :thumbsup:

Thanks Rappie - your support is really appreciated and I'll certainly pm you if I need to. Yes after apparently doing so well its been a real disappointment to see him in such pain.... but hopefully the worst of that is over. We ahve 4 weeks of treatment ahead of us and then we'll see where we have got to... and yes a total ear ablation is a serious step - which is why we are trying every last possible avenue firs - however I'm becoming imcreasingly suspicious that nothing is going to get around this highly stenotic canal which doesn't seem to aerate well, the diseased middle ear cavity and a very resistant bug... it seems to be a very very problematic trio. Anyway one step at a time... we'll see how we are going after the next course of treatment...

Yes I'm very lucky with my vet - she appeared out of nowhere as a locum - and appears to be staying!! :thumbsup::laugh: . She's a true clinician and highly skilled diagnostician - and I'm very grateful for her knowledge, extra research and persistence and that she hasn't given up on him - and so is Mac!

Thanks again and Cheers,

Westiemum :thanks:

Sorry to hear you're having a hiccup Westiemum :thanks:

A total ear ablation is a big deal (as I'm sure you're aware) but sometimes it's the best way to make a dog comfortable - even though it's not something to be taken lightly. Like I have said before, it sounds like your vet is on the ball so I'll send anti-bacterial wishes your way that it doesn't come to surgery. I will say though, in the case of chronic ear infections - there is nothing like having a dedicated owner who is committed to the treatment. Best of luck with it, I know how frustrating they can be - don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions or need moral support :rofl:

Hi westiemum,

We had a dog a few years ago with the same infection as your baby. We went to Murdoch Vet (as the same infection was in our boy's lungs causing pneumonia), and they put him on a course of CIPROXIN Tablets for his lungs, and then a permenant course of ear drops, CIPROXIN EarDrops (these are both human products). After the initial infection was cleared, you will need to just put in one or two drops in each affected ear once a day for the rest of his/her life. BUT, our boy Fred was pain free and happy for the rest of his life.

Good luck, and please keep us updated :thumbsup:)

Kind Regards

Melissa Murray

Sunniva Dobermanns - WA

http://sunnivadobes.charjean.com

Gee thanks tons Melissa. Thats really helpful. Will let the vet know. Thanks for posting - very kind of you.

Cheers,

Westiemum :laugh:

Hi westiemum,

We had a dog a few years ago with the same infection as your baby. We went to Murdoch Vet (as the same infection was in our boy's lungs causing pneumonia), and they put him on a course of CIPROXIN Tablets for his lungs, and then a permenant course of ear drops, CIPROXIN EarDrops (these are both human products). After the initial infection was cleared, you will need to just put in one or two drops in each affected ear once a day for the rest of his/her life. BUT, our boy Fred was pain free and happy for the rest of his life.

Good luck, and please keep us updated :vomit:)

Kind Regards

Melissa Murray

Sunniva Dobermanns - WA

http://sunnivadobes.charjean.com

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Well a quick update - so far so good. We are on a four-week course of zeniquin tabs which had to be flown in from Sydney - none could be found in Adelaide and it was apparently the only oral medication that the bug seemed to be sensitive to in the laboratory - we are on a course of these tabs and timentim drops and scaling down the steriods - have another week of half a tab every two days for the next week and then we are done with them. So will continue the antibiotics and drops until the end of the month and then culture again and review.

Clinically he is certainly doing much better - the ear is a much better colour and doesn't smell as putrid as it did - and he's certainly a much happier boy... so fingers crossed this works again...

Will let you know how we get on.... still very much hoping to avoid surgery.

Thanks again for all your kind wishes, suggestions and support - much appreciated.

Cheers,

Westiemum and Mac :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a further update... went back to the vet last night and the ear is dry, of good colour, no inflammation and the vet is pleased!! (And so am I!!! :):(:) ). And he continues to be a much happier boy.

So having finished the short course of steriods we are continuing our TriEDTA drops a couple of times a week timentin drops (1/2 ml twice a day) and the zeniquin tablets... so all fingwers and paws crossed here that all continues well and we can avoid major surgery...

Cheers

Westiemum :rofl:

Thanks rommiemum - very good of you.

Rappie, if you are around... thought you might be interested to know according to my vet there seems to be a real pseudomonas outbreak here according to my vet... have you noticed an increase too? If so I wonder why?

Cheers,

Westiemum :D

Edited by westiemum

Glad to hear you're on track again Westiemum.

I only have the one Pseudomonas ear going at the moment but we've had some weird weather lately so seeing lots of seasonal allergies early. Last year though we did have a bunch of them and it was tracked down to a particular batch of a particular ear cleaner. I'm not sure of the exact details, it was not a contamination issue but a set of common factors that led to several infections being seen at once.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for all your support and help over the last few months - well, as of last nights culture, we are completely clear :laugh: :laugh: :love: - The vet and I are SOOOOOOOO thrilled! Not a nasty in sight anywhere in either ear - and the ear looks the cleanest and healthiest that its looked... well... ever since I can remember.

So I'm just finishing the last of the timentin drops and will keep up the TrizEDTA a couple of times a week and see how we go...

Please pray and/or cross your paws for us - its been a helluva long haul since January over this but it seems we are finally there.... I hope!

And he's a so much happier boy... its just so wonderful to watch him... so its all been worthwhile.

He's the gorgeous one....

post-11746-1252501049_thumb.jpg

Thanks again everyone,

Cheers

Westiemum and Mac