Paw Pad

My dog has been lame for a couple of days on one of his front legs... As he is extremely active and a bit of a daredevil I first put it on him hurting himself, but I gave him a thorough check last night and realised 2 of the pads on this particular paw were very dry and cracked quite deeply (in comparison to the other feet where they are all smooth and shiny). He spends most of his time on hard surfaces (the house and backyard are all tiled, and most of our leash walking is done on the streets).

Before I take him off to the vet, would anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do to help him? Obviously I will have to reduce his walks to the minimum, and was thinking of maybe massaging vaseline onto his pads, but would that make the matter worse if he was to lick it off?

If you can get any wool fat or lanoline from the chemist, put it in the fridge until it goes into a solid state and then put that on. You can work it into the cracks better when it is solid, and it seems to stay on longer too.

That's what "greyhound people" use.

If you can get any wool fat or lanoline from the chemist, put it in the fridge until it goes into a solid state and then put that on. You can work it into the cracks better when it is solid, and it seems to stay on longer too.

That's what "greyhound people" use.

Thank you Anniek! Started on the solid lanolin last night and he already seems better this morning...