Itchy Bottom

Hi There Fellow DOL'ers,

Have been experiencing an issue over the past few days with my Stella that I thought I'd put to you all to see if others had experienced this at all..

It generally happens in the morning after she gets up, she takes herself into the hallway which is carpetted and sits on her bottom and swivels in a circle! When I first saw it I thought:

a) Worms? OR

b) Impacted Anal Glands (Build up of fluid)

However, she takes Advocate monthly which controls most intestinal worms and she is on a raw diet which normally does a good job of naturally expressing her glands.

I've checked the area beneath her tail and there are small raised lumps in the area that seem to be very itchy.

I'm thinking of taking her to the Vet to check them out just in case....

Anyone have any idea's what this could be? or had any similar experiences?

Anal glands would be my immediate suspicion. I've just answered a thread on the same subject above.

Even the best diet doesn't always eliminate the gland problem. I just lost a dog after 10 years who was on a fantastic diet but had his glands done every 2-3 months for the whole 10 years. One time I left it a little too long and he literally exploded all over the surgery and the vet - not nice!!

If you know it is anal glands, it costs about $20 as opposed to a full consult fee.

Should it turn out not to be that (I've had this happen too), then they can do further exploration but it is important not to leave it too long because it can become an infection or worse, an abcess which will have the dog in agony.

Anal glands most likely need emptying. The rash is probably carpet burn. Take her to the vet and get them to show you how to empty them, or alternatively ring around groomers as some groomers will do them for you for a few dollars.

Thanks Guys! I'm going to book an apptmt with my Vet and say it's for anal glands to be expressed and hopefully they won't sting me for the full consult fee...thanks for the tip with that! :laugh:

And the Kerri oil, which I have been using, this has definately been helping and it's looking better already. :-)