Mucus In Poo

macaroni

Hey guys and girls,

My 9.5 week old Labrador pup is doing mucousy poops, it's solid with a coating of mucous. He's still very active, no loss of appetite, no vomiting, no diarrhoea. He seems very normal and healthy. He's wormed and vaccinated as well.

Anyone know what could be causing it?

thanks for the replies guys, there's only tiny bits of blood, sand grain sized specks, minimal amount.

We've got chicken breast and chicken carcus but the chicken carcus is frozen right now, shall I take it out and let it thaw out and feed him later than usual?

And the wood is from an old cricket stump, I didn't think he'd chew threw it but damn, never underestimate a pup aye?

EDIT: Yep he's wormed regularly, ordered Sentinel Spectrum last week, hopefully it'll arrive by the coming Wednesday.

Edited by macaroni

thanks for the replies guys, there's only tiny bits of blood, sand grain sized specks, minimal amount.

We've got chicken breast and chicken carcus but the chicken carcus is frozen right now, shall I take it out and let it thaw out and feed him later than usual?

And the wood is from an old cricket stump, I didn't think he'd chew threw it but damn, never underestimate a pup aye?

EDIT: Yep he's wormed regularly, ordered Sentinel Spectrum last week, hopefully it'll arrive by the coming Wednesday.

You can give chicken carcass frozen.

All dogs have mucus glands and when there is an irritation they have goblets that over produce which is generally a sign of them healing from that irritation. The mucas glands are in the colon.

I agree with Stormy in that is could be coming from the colon. If your pup is only 9 or so weeks old then it could also be a food intolerance or Giardia could be another cause.

If it is Giardia then this is hard to detect as it only sheds intermittently and needs a few follow up tests of a fecal float and a Giardia snap test. Manly it is caused by a bacteria.

But if you found wood shavings in the poo then that is the most likely cause which would also cause the mucas glands to over produce. Has your pup had any diarrhea before this bout of mucus poo's ?

sounds like it's, as everyone and yourself have worked out, inflammation from the wood.

Just keep an eye on his poo for the next few days though because the wood could be a red herring, you never know, so just to be sure :cheer:

Maybe feed him a bland diet for the next 18-24 hours to give his tummy a rest, ie. just boiled chicken, even small quantities more frequently if you're home to do it so that he's not having to work too hard and to get everything working as normal again.

Edited by Bindii