Will It Get Better?

all that glitters

Shell, dont worry, I too have always kept my GSD pups in for the first couple of days until they settle in and allow them access outside while I am at home :mad Your dog will not have any adverse affect or grow any different doing what you are doing :o

You are doing the right thing by leaving her by herself for a few while you are at home, this way she gets used to you being there but it doesnt neccessarily mean that she has to be with you/see you :(

I would get her used to toilet training before I installed a doggy door :hug: Just so she doesnt learn any bad habits and would perhaps let her be locked outside once she has settled and have her used to being out there soley before allowing her free access to both areas :rofl: Just my opinion :rofl:

They are pretty quick to adapt to change :) So she will be fine in no time :offtopic: as long as outside she has access to a nice safe place (kennel or crate) thats warm and has some toys in there she will be fine and as long as you make outside fun for her, she will amuse herself in no time :wave:

For us, we have found the best way to leave him is to totally ignore him when we are getting ready to go.

No playing, speaking, touching and especially not looking at him. When I'm out the door and heading for the car my head is facing the clouds as he tries to get my attention (almost tripped a couple of times doing this :) ) but he realizes that he is not coming with me.

By leaving the house this way, he settles quickly. HTH and goodluck. It's not easy leaving the little one but they are ok in the end.

PS: We always leave the radio on and a light if it's late.

PPS: Shyla is beautiful!

Edited by wire

I think you brought the wrong type of dog if you want one that doesn't cry, I am being sarcastic by the way. GSD are a little bit notorious for being sooky and crying even as an adult