Crate Training- Do You Really Need A Divider?

RockabillyLove

I was also going to suggest maybe putting a cardboard box in the back of the crate :banghead: great idea guys :wave:

I also started of with newspaper just outside their crate as i found when young they would go as soon as they were out of the crate, then i gradually moved it closer to the door of their room up till the point that they knew to go outside. Mind you acidents will happen :)

Yes you can buy dividers but you have to purchase certain brands of crates and buy the divider at teh same time = try Groomers or one of the 'better' pet supplies places. I would steer clear of the idiot 'expert'.

I crate train and its my experience that 'a dog never fowls its own yard' unless it has no alternative.

Ours didn't come with a divider, but my husband made one from some wood. I had to dismantle it one day to clean the crate out, and we didn't put it back in and he is fine with out it. Not sure if we could have done that from the start or not. But it definetely worked for us :cry:

Ours came with a divider... but it was a second crate so didn'tneed it anymore.

As most people have said, a divider isn't always necessary, however what annoys me most is that this "dog expert" was offering the wrong advice on crating! Many people could be buying crates and taking his advice on how to crate your puppy and instead of it teaching a dog it will probably halt the learning experience!! :)