Puppy And Cats

all that glitters

Hi Shell

I wondered myself how my fur babies would cope. My cat Lara is a year old and it was interesting how she reacted.

Day 1 - Lara hid in a pillowcase (with pillow in it) and Bronte didn't really meet her.

Day 2 - Walked down hall to watch Bronte through the puppy fence, very fluffy and hissy. Bronte quite fascinated but wary.

Day 3 - Started to reclaim territory and walking around with Bronte and sitting in her usual spots. Bronte wanted to play. Lara did lots of staring and employed intimidation tactics for the next couple of days.

Day 4 - Pretty much doing her own thing and Bronte tried to get her to play. Both happy walking around together at meal times.

Day 5 - Started playing together. Bronte can get a little loud and boisterous, but Lara will put her in her place when that happens, but generally with claws only just out, not scratching.

Since then they have been pretty cool together. There is no snuggling together or anything, but they definitely play great games, especially in the backyard. Sometimes just when I've settled Bronte, Lara will then fire her up. Typical fickle cat, she doesn't want to play, then she does.

The feeding regime in my house may help the pecking order too. I eat, then Lara gets her food, then Bronte last.

I still won't trust them alone together until Bronte matures somewhat, but Lara feels safe, so that's a good sign. Lara is generally a house cat and Bronte is outside when I'm at work, so they are only together when I'm there. One day I hope that I can let Lara use her cat door when I'm not home, without worrying about the two of them together.

Here are a couple of play shots.

post-28499-1242211814_thumb.jpg

post-28499-1242211825_thumb.jpg

I just watched them in the courtyard together. Lara stalked Bronte they they leapt at each other with Lara tackling Bronte to the ground in a headlock. They rolled on the ground together for a bit then went their separate ways. Very funny and cute.