How Much Food

Can someone please tell me how much food as in grams per day should you feed your dog.

I have two Staffies and am always unsure.

I feed them Half cup of pro plan biscuits in morning and at night half cup of biscuits with meat and veg, but I am unsure about the amount they should be getting.

They also get bones, chicken wings etc.

Noone can answer this question as it depends on the size of the dog, the breed and activity level, as well as what you feed.

Just monitor your dogs to make sure they look nice and lean.

It's not really a matter of "how much" because just like us, all dogs are individuals. Are the dogs healthy, active and in good body condition? If it's colder or they have an extra-active weekend then they could probably do with a handful more food than on a warm day when they've been lying about the back yard all week.

Between 2 & 4 % of their IDEAL bodyweight is the rough guide for adult raw-fed dogs but this really doesn't work with dry food.

Whatever it says on the packet for their weight is likely 10-20% more than they actually need on a regular basis, but again this depends on the dog and what it's doing.

Sorry not to be able to give you an exact figure :-)

it usually discloses the amount in grams on the side of the dog food packaging in regards to the weight of your dogs.

that's correct, and it usually is way off (sometimes even 50% too much)

if your dogs are fat cut back dinner

if they are thin up the breakfast

packets can be way off. I also find the amount varies with the seasons as well - in summer my dogs are happy to go a day without food at all, in winter they need a little more to keep condition.

remember quality as well - more active dogs can be kept in condition with raw meaty bones, a higher fat food whereas the chubbers lower the protein and fat.

Just as an example of all dogs being different, the packet says to feed my dog 4 cups a day.

To keep him at a nice lowish weight he gets 1 cup + an extra such as a tin of sardines or two chicken wings. It took us ages to work out the right amount of food for him.

Every dog is different so no one can really tell you how much to feed. Best thing is to make it a habit to examine your dog regularly. Do the 'hug test' before meals. Run your hands down their sides to feel for ribs - you should be able to feel them under a light cover. Really LOOK at your dogs regularly and impartially to examine their condition. If they are a bit overweight, cut down a bit. If they are getting a bit lean, increase a bit. If they are a good weight, stick to what you are doing. How much you need to feed your dog will not stay the same all the time either. Things like age, activity level and even the weather/time of year (how cold or hot etc) can affect how much they will need at any point in time.