Vets All Natural

If you post up what the age and ideal weight of your dog is, I'll let you know from the packaging what the 'guide' tells you as far as feeding quantity is concerned. In the past, I've found that generally you don't need to feed quite as much as what the 'guide' indicates.

Zephyr is a 4.5 year old Bernese Mountain Dog. Weighs approximately 48kg.

Hudson is a 1.5 year old Saint Bernard. Weighs approximately 62kg.

Going by the packet the "Suggested Total Daily Intake" of the pre-pared "Allerblend" for your BMD would be 1000g (Scale = dogs weight 35-50kg). Each packet is 800g.

The packet only indicates for dogs up to 50g - I guess they figured people would be unlikely to afford their pre-prepared meals for dogs any larger.

It would work out considerably cheaper for you if you made your own by mixing Roo mince with the VAN "Complete Mix" as well as using the VAN "Omega Blend Oil". Unless you have a big enough health issue with your dogs to warrant the expense of getting the exact proportions and ingredients contained in the Allerblend. Retail, each packet costs around $8.00 (I presume this could vary depending on which retail outlet you purchased from).

Cassie - I got it at the PetStock at Parafield Gardens but I think they said to me that all the Petstocks were carrying it (in SA at least) and that the vet that created it had come in and talked to staff about it before they started to sell it.

Thanks :thumbsup: I go to Parafield Petstock fairly regularly but have never seen it there, then again have never really looked before. Do they sell the Complete Mix that you have to make up yourself, or only the pre-prepared stuff? Which one is more common?

If you post up what the age and ideal weight of your dog is, I'll let you know from the packaging what the 'guide' tells you as far as feeding quantity is concerned. In the past, I've found that generally you don't need to feed quite as much as what the 'guide' indicates.

Zephyr is a 4.5 year old Bernese Mountain Dog. Weighs approximately 48kg.

Hudson is a 1.5 year old Saint Bernard. Weighs approximately 62kg.

Going by the packet the "Suggested Total Daily Intake" of the pre-pared "Allerblend" for your BMD would be 1000g (Scale = dogs weight 35-50kg). Each packet is 800g.

The packet only indicates for dogs up to 50g - I guess they figured people would be unlikely to afford their pre-prepared meals for dogs any larger.

It would work out considerably cheaper for you if you made your own by mixing Roo mince with the VAN "Complete Mix" as well as using the VAN "Omega Blend Oil". Unless you have a big enough health issue with your dogs to warrant the expense of getting the exact proportions and ingredients contained in the Allerblend. Retail, each packet costs around $8.00 (I presume this could vary depending on which retail outlet you purchased from).

Thanks for that Erny. Yes that would work out way too dear for my two big boys. Do you (or anyone?) know how much of the Complete Mix you need to feed?

Thanks for that Erny. Yes that would work out way too dear for my two big boys. Do you (or anyone?) know how much of the Complete Mix you need to feed?

About 1 3/4 of a cup. You mix that with same quantity of water ..... you'll be surprised at how much there really is once the water has all been absorbed. Add 3 3/4 cup of fresh meat.

For my previous girl (bless her cotton socks) - she ate the VAN "Complete Mix" & Fresh meat diet - I started on the "serving indications" but found she was putting on too much weight. With her, I needed to feed almost half the recommended amount. Every dog is different, but the majority of people I have spoken to who have used the product have said they needed to feed less than the suggested amount.

Edited by Erny

Thanks :thumbsup: I go to Parafield Petstock fairly regularly but have never seen it there, then again have never really looked before. Do they sell the Complete Mix that you have to make up yourself, or only the pre-prepared stuff? Which one is more common?

THey have the complete mix that make yourself and most of the supplements. I don't think they do the prepared stuff as they don't have fridge/freezer for that type of product. I am running low on it, last got some around February I guess. Maybe ask at the counter. The 2 times I have got it from them the staff have been excited to tell me all about it and aks if I have used it before and what sort of results I have had.

Complete Mix - puppy (1-2) years - 30kg = 275gm of VAN + 275 water + 850 raw meat

However this is for 2-3 meals

I have 2 whippets - 8 kg + 12 kg - I feed the 10kg level = 100gm VAN over 3 meals

I have also heard suggestion from other DOL'ers that you can mix the VAN with meat +/- offal, sardines, etc and then freeze the lot in individual portions

1kg costs ~$10, cheaper in bigger packets

I can have a look at the adult one next time I go to the pet food place if you need

I can second that Petstock stock this stuff, have seeen it in there while stickybeaking at all the stuff

About 1 3/4 of a cup. You mix that with same quantity of water ..... you'll be surprised at how much there really is once the water has all been absorbed. Add 3 3/4 cup of fresh meat.

For my previous girl (bless her cotton socks) - she ate the VAN "Complete Mix" & Fresh meat diet - I started on the "serving indications" but found she was putting on too much weight. With her, I needed to feed almost half the recommended amount. Every dog is different, but the majority of people I have spoken to who have used the product have said they needed to feed less than the suggested amount.

:rofl: Is that per day?? Bloody hell that's a lot more than my guys eat now, so yes as you said I would probably find I fed them less than the recommended guide! Also (sorry for all the questions! :rofl: ) just for arguments sake if I was to feed the amount you've written there, can I mix it up like 1 3/4 cup of Complete Mix with 1 3/4 cup of water, and then only say 2 cups of fresh meat, and give them that for breakfast, and then the other 1 3/4 cup of meat (3 3/4 cups minus 2 cups fed at breakfast = 1 3/4 cup) give them for dinner? I hope that makes sense!!! Or if you mixed it with less meat would it be too sloppy or not palatable or something? After soaking it in the water what are you left with? I'm imagining a porridge-like consistency? :cheer:

Thanks :champagne: I go to Parafield Petstock fairly regularly but have never seen it there, then again have never really looked before. Do they sell the Complete Mix that you have to make up yourself, or only the pre-prepared stuff? Which one is more common?

THey have the complete mix that make yourself and most of the supplements. I don't think they do the prepared stuff as they don't have fridge/freezer for that type of product. I am running low on it, last got some around February I guess. Maybe ask at the counter. The 2 times I have got it from them the staff have been excited to tell me all about it and aks if I have used it before and what sort of results I have had.

Thanks :champagne: Looking forward to going there and checking out the range :rofl:

One other thing:

Leave it at least 12 hours to soak. But dont leave for more than 48hours or it grows really fantastic fungus. I have become quite accomplished at this.

:cheer: Thanks for the tip! :rofl:

The mix once soaked is not that sloppy, so you would be fine to do it the way you suggested.

My holistic vet knows Bruce Symes and is really impressed with the scientific work he has done to develop the different products sold via VAN. We are using it to try and solve Callista's skin issues (along with chinese medicines) as I don't want her on cortizone (sp?) for prolonged periods.

:champagne: Is that per day?? Bloody hell that's a lot more than my guys eat now, so yes as you said I would probably find I fed them less than the recommended guide!

Yes. That's per day. I started my girl on the recommended serving size and worked down, using visual to monitor her weight.

Also (sorry for all the questions! :cheer: ) just for arguments sake if I was to feed the amount you've written there, can I mix it up like 1 3/4 cup of Complete Mix with 1 3/4 cup of water, and then only say 2 cups of fresh meat, and give them that for breakfast, and then the other 1 3/4 cup of meat (3 3/4 cups minus 2 cups fed at breakfast = 1 3/4 cup) give them for dinner? I hope that makes sense!!!

Yes. That would be fine. Or you can feed them half of the mix + meat in the morning and the other half of the mix + meat in the evening.

Or if you mixed it with less meat would it be too sloppy or not palatable or something? After soaking it in the water what are you left with? I'm imagining a porridge-like consistency? :champagne:

It is not sloppy. It is a moist but quite firm mixture once the soaking period is finished.

Edited by Erny

Oh ..... and I used a glass bowl with a lid that sealed over it to soak the Complete Mix in. Otherwise, the aroma of fermentation combined with garlic tended to waft through the house. :champagne:

Not sure whether it is supposed to be covered during the fermentation/soaking period, but it didn't seem to do any harm to it when I did it.

Edited by Erny