Parvo Virus

I am well aware of Dr Dodds' vaccination protocol and I very much follow them and I completely concur that there has been and continues to be (to a lessening degree) the habit of over-vaccinating our dogs to their detriment. I just wasn't sure whether that's what you were referring to or whether you had some other interpretation of 'new' vaccination protocol.

However, I still disagree that this will give you the guarantee against the possibility of contracting the disease, as you seem to claim it does.

Edited by Erny

Erny is right.

No vaccination protocol can guarantee 100% protection against any disease. Some pups are non-responders. Some pups get infected with the virus between the time they're vaccinated and the time that their immune response to the vaccine "kicks in". Some pups don't respond to vaccines due to maternal antibody protection, and no, you can't 100% predict when maternal antibody protection will wane in a pup since the antibodies are gained from the colostrum and persist in the body for many weeks. Antibodies from the milk just protect the gut.

All vaccination does is improve your odds dramatically. There's no guarantee of protection.

Yes Mr/Mrs/Miss Vet we are sorry that you are losing money on yearly vaccinations but the health of the animal is more important.

Yeah, we're all just in it for the money, we don't care about the animals at all.

I hope you weren't rude enough to say this to Dr Dodds... :eek:

Erny is right.

No vaccination protocol can guarantee 100% protection against any disease. Some pups are non-responders. Some pups get infected with the virus between the time they're vaccinated and the time that their immune response to the vaccine "kicks in". Some pups don't respond to vaccines due to maternal antibody protection, and no, you can't 100% predict when maternal antibody protection will wane in a pup since the antibodies are gained from the colostrum and persist in the body for many weeks. Antibodies from the milk just protect the gut.

All vaccination does is improve your odds dramatically. There's no guarantee of protection.

Yes Mr/Mrs/Miss Vet we are sorry that you are losing money on yearly vaccinations but the health of the animal is more important.

Yeah, we're all just in it for the money, we don't care about the animals at all.

I hope you weren't rude enough to say this to Dr Dodds... :laugh:

Nothing in life is guaranteed!!!!!!

But if you follow the above the the chances improve greatly. By the way when when speaking to Jean with a friend privately she suggested we send the titre tests to her (have a day and do a bulk lot) to avoid the high costs involved in Australian. By the way she believes that the health of the animal is more important than money. :eek:

Nothing in life is guaranteed!!!!!!

But if you follow the above the the chances improve greatly.

Yes, that is true, I think it is a good protocol. :laugh:

Current thinking on companion animal vaccination is that for the best population-wide protection, we need more people vaccinating their pets, but it's OK if they're each doing it less often.

By the way she believes that the health of the animal is more important than money. :eek:

Yes, a lot of us vets and wannabe vets do. Otherwise I'd be investing my 5 years and $50,000 getting qualified in something far more lucrative than veterinary science, believe me! :laugh:

Pity there are some bad apples out there, but it happens in every profession I'm afraid.

speaking from experience....

I have kept all my crates from my Parvo episode but ther were all BLEACHE (straight and left wet to air dry) Then I washed them again with warm soapy water to rid the smell, and again a few days later. No problems here,

I also keep diluted F10 in a spray bottle and every few days (when is nice and sunny) spray till wet and then air dry :laugh:

I AM over paranoid now :laugh: but Parvo is somthing I NEVER - EVER want to see again!!!