Aloveen Shampoo

I just brought some aloveen shampoo and was wondering whether it is safe for the puppy to lick it. I'm going to be washing his beard and I can see him licking the foam already!!!

Bathing him for this first time this weekend. He is 10 weeks old, any tips for me? Thinking of putting a non slip mat in the bath tub and washing him there.

Edited by giraffez

I have been bathing in aloveen for quite some time and my dogs have licked it with no effects, though if a pup consumed a fair amount it might, not sure :rofl:

Congrats on your puppy.

Thanks! Any tips on how i should start the bathing process?

You can always use a baby shampoo on his face, so no suds hurt his eyes either.

Bath mat to stop him slipping. Use a shower attachment to wet down and rinse with, some dogs don't like standing in water or being lowered into it plus you can't rinse the legs as thoroughly.

Wet dog, mix some shampoo with water and pour over dog, rub in, then wash the face. Rinse off. Repeat if necessary. rinse and rinse again to be sure there is no shampoo. Conditioner through legs and beard, rinse again (you can mix conditioner with water before applying)

Wring out, towel dry by squeezing, not rubbing as this forms mats.

Blwo dry and brush.

Don't make a big deal about any step, just keep it calm. When putting water over the dog, keep it close to the body, they seem to accept it better then showering at a distance to the skin.

You can always use a baby shampoo on his face, so no suds hurt his eyes either.

Bath mat to stop him slipping. Use a shower attachment to wet down and rinse with, some dogs don't like standing in water or being lowered into it plus you can't rinse the legs as thoroughly.

Wet dog, mix some shampoo with water and pour over dog, rub in, then wash the face. Rinse off. Repeat if necessary. rinse and rinse again to be sure there is no shampoo. Conditioner through legs and beard, rinse again (you can mix conditioner with water before applying)

Wring out, towel dry by squeezing, not rubbing as this forms mats.

Blwo dry and brush.

Don't make a big deal about any step, just keep it calm. When putting water over the dog, keep it close to the body, they seem to accept it better then showering at a distance to the skin.

Thanks

I will give it a try tomorrow. I hope he doesn;t bite the hell out of me when i try... i just had another practice grooming session on top of the washing machine.... got bitten by puppy teeth :eek:

Sounds like you have added a schnauzer to the family!!!!!!!! I have two and they are the best and yes they both lick all shampoos.Just do beard very quick and rinse. Bath mat very good so as wont feel scared of slipping in bath and then bath time will be fun not a chore. Congrats you be best friends for years. :o:laugh:

Sounds like you have added a schnauzer to the family!!!!!!!! I have two and they are the best and yes they both lick all shampoos.Just do beard very quick and rinse. Bath mat very good so as wont feel scared of slipping in bath and then bath time will be fun not a chore. Congrats you be best friends for years. :o:laugh:

Yep, I'm officially part of the schnauzer gang now! :rofl:

I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully it doesn't rain tomorrow! Its been terrible weather since the day he came home.

i thought i'll share with you Teddys bath experience. I was planning to hold off the bathing till next week as it has been raining all weekend and next week too! But Teddy couldn't help jumping into a muddy hole after it had stopped raining :laugh:

Anyways, i tried to wipe the dirt off his beard and feet but that was too much. I decided to pop him in the sink and just wash the feet and beard. Once that was done i though what the heck, I was wet already, he was too, so i ended up bathing him completely :thumbsup:

He was shivering quite a lot but i used warm water... i think he was nervous rather than cold because after i had finished he stopped the shivering.

He hated the hair dryer - plainly said, he freaked out and i have scratch marks all over me :laugh: But towards the end, i managed to settle him and he was nervous but not as much as before and was more controllable. Dried him up and gave him a big treat. :thumbsup:

He then decided he wanted to go out and play.... i thought he had other agendas on his mind (ie the muddy hole). I let him got out to relieve himself and straight after that he ran for the hole again :laugh: Luckily i caught him in time and brought him into the house!

After all that, I now have a clean dog and a hole in the backyard to patch up.... :laugh:

Why won't it stop raining?!

Edited by giraffez