C5 Vacinationa

Just wondering if it is still ok to give my 9 year girl the C5 vac. She still gets shown in veteran and desexed so was wondering if i should keep her on the C5 only because she is still getting shown or drop down to C3?

Thanks for your help

do you take her out much to where other dogs are or haven been? Do you board her? If not then i (personally) wouldn't worry about it. My dog has had all her puppy ones and first yearly booster but none since then. Same with my cat

do you take her out much to where other dogs are or haven been? Do you board her? If not then i (personally) wouldn't worry about it. My dog has had all her puppy ones and first yearly booster but none since then. Same with my cat

Hey

i only take her to dog shows where she competes in the show. I dont board her , She gets her yearly booster of C5 every year but just thought if she would be ok to get a C3 or somthing.

I don't use or recommend a C5 at all. :thumbsup:

I use C3 or C4, and taper off as they get older. I was showing my 9 year old girl in Veterans & Neuter and it had been 2 years since she'd had a C4 vac. She wasn't vaccinated again, she'll be 15 in August. I stopped showing her when she reached about 10 and acouple of her front teeth fell out. She rarely goes any where now and prefers I don't either :(.

I don't use or recommend a C5 at all. :thumbsup:

I use C3 or C4, and taper off as they get older. I was showing my 9 year old girl in Veterans & Neuter and it had been 2 years since she'd had a C4 vac. She wasn't vaccinated again, she'll be 15 in August. I stopped showing her when she reached about 10 and acouple of her front teeth fell out. She rarely goes any where now and prefers I don't either :(.

thanks for that. I have always used C5 on my dogs but will anything happen if i stop her getting her vacs. im scared that she may catch something if she isnt vacs.

Hiya MM - our old girl (China's gran who went to the bridge at nearly 16) had no vaccs at all after the age of 2. We had boarding kennels, took her to shows all over the place, she changed countries and back again. Not even kennel cough. I wouldn't vaccinate her, but if you worry then perhaps a titre test.

Sorry, I just don't understand why you would want to vaccinate a 9 year old that has been vaccinated with C5 5 for all those years.

I would be more concerned that her immune system would not be good after that much vaccine.

Don't forget that it has been proved that over vaccination suppresses the immune system it does not enhance it.

If the dog was mine it would never get another vaccine in it's life.

If she was mine, I probably wouldn't vaccinate her for parvo, distemper, or hepatitis again. From everything I've been taught I believe adequate immunity against these 3 viruses lasts at least 3 years in most dogs after vaccination, so annual boosters for these diseases aren't generally necessary.

If you're concerned she may lack immunity to those three viruses, you could always get a yearly titre to prove to yourself she's still got an adequate level of circulating antibody against them. (A low titre doesn't necessarily mean she's susceptible, but a high titre indicates that she's almost certainly immune so vaccinating is pointless).

If you think it's likely that she could get kennel cough at the shows, perhaps you could just vaccinate against that. From what I know that vaccine doesn't last nearly as long as the others, so will generally "wear off" within a year or two. And it's probably nice for her not to get a full blown case of kennel cough, since she's an old lady. :rolleyes:

I was always told to vacinate my dogs only because we do alot of obedience and clubs wont let you train unless they are done.

I was only doing them every year because of the obedience clubs and the shows as you dont know what is around at shows.

thanks all for the info

There is no earthly reason for vaccinating an older dog unless absolutely required for boarding, importing, exporting, obedience or agility. And the sooner the rules change for these to allow titre tests the better off a whole lot of dogs will be.

I would be so worried about epilepsy, Cushings, Addison's or any other of the myriad health issues that are more frequent within 3 months of a booster shot than any other time of the year. Vaccinations are linked to auto-immune problems in both dogs and people, too many nasty chemicals and heavy metals in vaccines for some brains to be able to handle.

I would be so worried about epilepsy, Cushings, Addison's or any other of the myriad health issues that are more frequent within 3 months of a booster shot than any other time of the year.

Can you please PM me or post the study, Morgan? I've only been able to find papers that say exactly the opposite (no more health issues within a few months of a vaccination), so would love to have the reference.

Thanks!