Prescribed Breeds

Rex

I assume that most states have similar legislation in regard to prescribed breeds (dangerous dogs) as South Australia which as I understand it, the legislation permitted for example Pit Bulls to be kept under specific conditions, one being that they had to be de-sexed and could not be sold or given away.

In respect of the legislation should owners of existing Pit Bulls comply in reference to the requirement of de-sexing and legislation breach to on sell them, how are these breeds continuing to multiply legally in these circumstances???. Should the legislation be adhered to, it would arrive at the situation where the Pit Bull would no longer exist due to the inability to legally reproduce and sell.

Wouldn't it be fair to say given such legislation, that the impounding and destruction of dogs determined as a prescribed breed is the fault of the people who continue to breed, market and own such animals contrary to the legislation???.

Ive been reading into this a fair bit of late, on the Prescribed Breeds Of Dogs from various states

SA it says is an offence to give away, sell, or advertise the pure breeds of prescribed breeds of dogs:

By law these dogs must be desexed, and wear a collar (as specified by the Dog and Cat Management Board), lead and muzzle when out in public.

I would assume dogs can be aquired from interstate and housed in SA as the requirements suggest by the Dog and Cat Management Board.

Many would also be x breeds or close relative breeds too, so I doubt they fall under any legislation thank goodness. I dont think they have any informed way of ID either. That seems the kicker in most states now.

Edited by RebLT

I assume that most states have similar legislation in regard to prescribed breeds (dangerous dogs) as South Australia which as I understand it, the legislation permitted for example Pit Bulls to be kept under specific conditions, one being that they had to be de-sexed and could not be sold or given away.

In respect of the legislation should owners of existing Pit Bulls comply in reference to the requirement of de-sexing and legislation breach to on sell them, how are these breeds continuing to multiply legally in these circumstances???. Should the legislation be adhered to, it would arrive at the situation where the Pit Bull would no longer exist due to the inability to legally reproduce and sell.

Wouldn't it be fair to say given such legislation, that the impounding and destruction of dogs determined as a prescribed breed is the fault of the people who continue to breed, market and own such animals contrary to the legislation???.

I can see what you are getting at, but I don't think it is that simple. Many people simply aren't aware of the kind of dog they have. The dog may have been sold or given to them as "Staffy cross" or "AmStaff" or just as a bitza. Some of these dogs probably are bitzas but unfortunately have physical characteristics that suggest they are a prescribed breed.

Of course there are those unscrupulous few who continue to do whatever they please despite what the law says and despite the future they may be dooming these dogs to. Not to mention the heartbreak for the owners.

I dont understand your question but what i understand American pitbull terriers that were born before a cirtain date do not have to comply with BSL.

they contunie to multiply because of back yard breeding and american pitbull kennels that there are still plenty of around,

The aim of BSL is to eventually make this breed extinct but this will never happen no matter how hard they try,

All BSL is doing is creating more and more BYB breeders,

I dont understand your question but what i understand American pitbull terriers that were born before a cirtain date do not have to comply with BSL.

they contunie to multiply because of back yard breeding and american pitbull kennels that there are still plenty of around,

The aim of BSL is to eventually make this breed extinct but this will never happen no matter how hard they try,

That is incorrect , in NSW it didn't matter when your APBT was born, when BSL was introduced it applied to ALL APBT's and crosses

ETA: Here's the ACT, it covers both restricted and dangerous dogs

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/con...act/caa1998174/

Edited by PPS

That is incorrect , in NSW it didn't matter when your APBT was born, when BSL was introduced it applied to ALL APBT's and crosses

ETA: Here's the ACT, it covers both restricted and dangerous dogs

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/con...act/caa1998174/

Pit bulls owned before Aug. 29, 2005 or born in the next 90 days, are “restricted”

But what if you get one after that date?

then it states Puppies born after November 27, 2005 will be considered illegal, and must be shipped out of the province, sent to a research facility or destroyed.

Edited by APBT

not really becasue i sed if there born befre a cirtain date you dont have to comply with bsl and that date is November 27, 2005

All dogs registered as APBT's or Pit Bulls or Pit Bull cross prior to the introduction of BSL automatically became "restricted" upon the introduction of BSL. Regardless of it's DOB , those dogs became "restricted" and owners were given a transition period in which to desex their animals ( if not already done ) and to build their enclosures. From memory that time was up in the October after BSL was introduced in NSW.

Any dogs that were not registered as a "restricted breed" prior to the introduction, but council suspected or suspects to date may be of a restricted breed or cross are subject to an NOI, again regardless of them being born before the introduction.

Some of those dogs that automatically became "restricted" included some who at the time were elderly and no offending dogs, who were born ten years plus prior to the introduction.

Most of the talk in reference to prescribed breeds are generally Pit bulls, but what about the others on the list, Japanese Tosa etc etc, does anyone know if the others listed are in captivity or popular amoungst certain groups of people???. I can't recall ever hearing a reference to prescribed breeds other than the APBT???.

Considering many cross breeds can have a Pit Bull resemblance in some way, it would be interesting to know the number of pure breed APBT's that have caused such a danger to influence their inclusion on the BSL???.

Edited by Rex

They havnt caused "such a danger", not today or ever. They are a government scape goat, and victims of media hype and a mis informed public.

Dogo Argentino's exists in Australia in small numbers, as for the others, I personally dont know, not as far as I am aware.

Edited by calsonic350z

SA it says is an offence to give away, sell, or advertise the pure breeds of prescribed breeds of dogs

This is interesting as I was discussing it with OH a few nights ago. In the past 6 months he's met 2 people claiming to have APBT puppies. One was at puppy class and the owner who first called his dog a pitbull quickly reverted to Amstaff when questioned. He said his dog, a beautiful red nosed pup, was bought with papers from a breeder. The second person claimed that they had bought their dog as a pitbull (although I never saw it).

What neither of us could understand is that if it is an offence to give away, sell, or advertise a prescribed breed than how do people come to own these breeds? Are owners/breeders able to obtain specific liscenses to own one of these breeds or are they all now produced by BYB's? (Appologies if this sound ignorant, but I really don't know :laugh: ) If you awn an APBT is it registered as such, or do you have it registered/papered (ANKC) as an AmStaff?

the american pitbull terrier is the one most commonly talked about when BSL pops up is becasue there a very popular dog.

And the term pitbull is a name that branches over many breeds like the APBT, amstaff, american bully and even stafordshires,

the other restricted breeds are popular among people, and not just your local thugs. i find that its more elderly and dog experianced people that own these breeds, or people who want the breed that is from there homeland so to speek.

and calsonic is 100% right these dogs are just media hype and what i belive to be a passing phase, sooner rather then later i hope

weather your dog is purebred or crossed with one of these resticted breeds its all comes down to responsible handling of these dogs, as like any other breed.

and you wont hear much about the other resticted breeds beacue the genral public and even some dog savy people wouldnet know what they looked liked even if they were 3 feet away from one,

its just easy to say the "pitbull" type dog attacked me