Schutzhund Australia National Championship Trial

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are plenty of dogs that can do all sorts of work, however the rules are set and they include only certain breeds.

It works the same way for some other sports - I have dobes and I can not participate in retrieving trials, doesnt mean that my dogs cant retrieve.

I know there are APBT's excelling at it in the US, but the rules are different here. I was allowed to join a club with two of my dogs, but the conditions were as I posted above, no character work.

Yes...Could do protection work,but wanted to really stay away from that....I had a Tosa-inu,We did some security/protection work,but his personality started to change so stopped.He was obedience trained and was exceptional.

Edited by STICK

Sure its not about competitions, but its a lot of effort and in the end for what?

OK I understand there is a social aspect of training and I love this more then anything, but then why not only do whats allowed.

If someone wants a well trained dog it doesnt have to be biting the sleave, can do many other things as well.

In NZ non approved breeds of dog also can't trial in character work but are allowed to trial to get their BH, plus do the individual obedience and tracking components to get their OB1, OB2, OB3, TR1, TR2 & TR3. I guess probably also the FH1 and 2?

So perhaps it's similar in Australia for non approved breeds? Even if you can't get a full IPOIII or SchIII, getting an OB3 TR3 on your dog is nothing to sniff at!

MonElite

Do you know if they have to be papered purebreds to compete? Diesel for eg does not have papers and is not registered, but is definitely a GSD. Not that I am going to with him, just interested.

So would that mean you couldn't compete with a dog with KNVP papers or would that be OK :cheer: These are good things to know if I ever decide to give this sport a go, as some people on another board do a lot of promotion for KNPV over ANKC reg papers.

MonElite, I will PM you.

Dogs need to be papered (not sure if its main or limited) as there is a limit on the breed that can compete:

BREEDS ELIGIBLE FOR SCHUTZHUND TRAINING

German Shepherd Dog, Boxer, Dobermann, Rottweiler, Giant Schnauzer, Airedale Terrier, Bouvier Des Flandres, Hovawart, Belgian Shepherd (Groendael, Malinois, Tervueren, Laekenois), Berger de Beauce, Berger de Brie, Berger Des Pyrenees A Face Rase, Berger Des Pyrenees A Museau Normal, Berger Picard, Lapinkoira, Suomenpystykorva.

Not all these breeds are in Oz. Some clubs allow other breeds to train, some are more strict.

Ruth, we will have to meet up and I can show you Kyrans Silent Protection work, when we had our bitch last year training her and our rotti this year, Kyran used to watch, he is now so equipment orientated, as soon as the sleeve comes out his eyes nearly pop out of his head. He loves the bite work. At one stage we had to lock him up, and the noise he made was so loud cause he wanted to train.

Nathan even had Ace on the puppy sleeve when we were out one day. I recon if someone jumped my fence with a bite suit on the staffords would attack hahaha

I have a rule book here, I will pull it out on Saturday and check on the papers and if any breed can compete in BH but not get titled for it.

At the beginning of each trial after being summoned by name, each handler and dog shall report to the judge repeating the handlers as well as the dog's name. The dog must be leashed (unleashed in SchH 111) and is to sit in the basic heel position. The pedigree and registration certificate as well as the scorebook is to be presented to the trial secretary prior to the trial (scorebook only in USA). Should the hosting organization demand a membership or affiliation requirement, then a valid member-ship card must be presented.