Helping A Dog Become Cat Friendly

raydon26

We have just added to our home a male mastiff (approx 2 yr old) who has a wonderful temperament towards us & our other mastiff but is not too fussed on our cats. We have 3, 2 which are 5 & 6yrs old and 1 which is approx 16yrs old. My dilemma is that he seems to be ok when they are sitting still but once they move he's off after them. The 2 younger cats can get out of his way, until such a time that he gets used to them but the older one has a difficult time getting out of her own way, let alone his. I cannot keep the cats away from him as the fences are not designed this way. I have kept the cats inside whilst he is roaming around but they have to have supervised visitation when they are all together. He does respond to 'no' and a gruff disaproval from me when the situation of him chasing the cats has just started but if he's already chasing no amount of no's will make him respond. If they are just laying around he doesn't blink an eye & will walk right past them. My female will play with the younger cats & they play back (this was before he came, 5 days ago) but i do fear for the pack mentality of 2 dogs together & 1 cat. Both dogs are booked in for obedience training starting at the end of July. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oh & we do not know of any of his history before coming to us.

no advice roolly, but could l loan you my cat?

the jr a confirmed cat chaser dose not any more.

the cat lays down and if the dog start he reminds him that cats are sharp! :):rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

tis a gentle slap but gets the message across.

no advice roolly, but could l loan you my cat?

the jr a confirmed cat chaser dose not any more.

the cat lays down and if the dog start he reminds him that cats are sharp! :):thumbsup::laugh::cry:

tis a gentle slap but gets the message across.

We have told Wilson that cats are 'friends not food' but i don't think he's quite on our wave length yet. We will perservere but if it comes to the crunch we will take you up in your offer. With your cat & our ginger 'Rex', we may be able to sort him out, but we don't want to change his name to Scar, he's just geting use to Wilson.

post-28802-1245119680.jpg

Honestly for the sake of you cat I would never trust them together alone, you may make progress with training but realistically if you are not there and the cat moves suddenly, the dog wont go, "oh hang on mum doesn't want me to chase the cat, I had better stay here'. So yeah work with him, treat him when he stays near you, get someone to make the cat move around have the dog on lead (incase he does try to chase the cat) and treat him if he stays put, maybe you could even get him to the stage where he stays with you if the cat gets startled and run off but don't think that they will be alright together without you there. It is not worth the heart ache if something goes wrong.