Experiences With Anthestics In Older Dogs

Hi

I have to put my 14yrs old boy (whippetxheeler) back under to get his numerous skin cancers removed again. Its been a while since he had the last one removed as it started bleeding. He has lost weight since then but is still over weight, loosing slowly.

These cancers have grown rapidly and one is already scabbing (next step is the bleeding). After the last anesthetic it took him over 36hrs to even start to act normal, 48 hrs to be normal. He is getting the pre blood work and the pre drip and the vet uses the best anesthetic. I am just so terrified that he wont come out of it. I know the risk but would love to hear of other peoples experiences with older dogs, please only the good ones, I am struggling with this decision.

It's very hard isn't it :rofl:

I'm sure there will be other people in to talk about their experiences. I think something that is really important is that you have faith in your vet and that before going ahead, you feel like you've discussed everything you need to in order to feel comfortable going ahead or not. Don't feel strange about asking what is actually going to happen either, also mention the slow recovery from the last anaesthetic. Having preanaesthetic blood work is excellent, as is going on fluids.

I say this a lot but I don't think it will hurt to say it again. Age alone isn't a (clinical) reason to not anaesthetise an animal. Certainly with increasing age comes an increased chance of other issues like kidney problems, or liver problems or heart problems but as they say, age isn't a disease. I try to get all the information I can before I go ahead with a GA that concerns me, so that I can preempt any problems and take steps to either avoid them or be ready to treat them. There's no guarantees with anything in life unfortunately, but older animals are anaesthetised frequently and with good practices, complications are uncommon.

A good story? I had an old dog with a whopping heart murmur (on medication after decompensating a few months ago) that had a really foul mouth and loose teeth. Everyone knew the anaesthesia plan before we started and he had a nurse by his side from start to finish. Had blood work before anything else - all fine, IV cath in, sedation for chest xrays to check heart size and lungs etc, had oxygen to breath before a modified GA induction to limit cardiovascular effects, lots of local blocks to keep his GA light, lots of teeth extracted and good pain management. Also hooked up to pulse ox, a blood pressure monitor and on IV fluids. He was under GA for just over 2 hours and had most of his teeth extracted, woke up feeling perky and had some dinner within 2 hours of being awake :rofl:.

Edited by Rappie

Kelpie-i's 15yo GSD had to recently undergo a surgical procedure for the removal of a tumour (non-cancerous thank goodness) and from what I can gather, he came through it fine.

I think Rappie has given some great advice above. Talk it right through with your Vet. Let them know of your concerns. And allow them to explain it to you. Even younger dogs are at risk when under GA. Sure - we try to avoid it whenever we can, but sometimes it is necessary.

Good luck. I really hope everything will turn out fine for you and your golden olden :rofl:.

Thanks Rappie for your understanding., and everone else.

Its something that I know for his quality of life has to be done, I just wish it didnt. He might be going blind and deaf but he still gives the feral cats here a run for their money. Overall his health is good and he isnt too fat, last weight was around 17kg down from 20kg, should be around the 15kg or so. Worked on that for the last 6 months, paid off now.

I have faith in my vet and understand that sometimes things dont go to plan. She has stated that she will take the worst ones off and depending on how he is going will try and get the rest off as well as check his teeth (as he is already under), it will just depend on how he is going. I am going to check what sort of anesthetic they are using, (thanks Elfin), as this could be why he took so long to come back to normal last time.

I am just trying to settle my nerves before Friday.

Edited by Munchin

Its something that I know for his quality of life has to be done, I just wish it didnt. ... I am just trying to settle my nerves before Friday.

We understand how you feel, Munchin. No matter what anyone says here, you'll still feel very worried for him. But hopefully the things you hear here will give you a little bit more confidence.

We'll be waiting to hear how he gets on and looking forward to news of his recovery :rofl:.

Hey Munchin :wave: Just wanted to try reassure you a little bit...

At my work we often are putting 10+ animals under anaesthesia and while some of them may take a little longer to wake up, most of them are fine with the anaesthesia. As long as you have a good vet and they are constantly monitoring your boy, he should be fine :)

Hi Munchin

I understand your worries.

We had to put our oldest girl ( aged 12 ) uner G.A a couple of weeks ago for a dental extraction.

I agree with Rappie and other posters - having confidence and faith in your vet is vital... I have a great rapport with our vet and she is incredibly caring and careful. I knew she would do all humanly possible to make things go smoothly - which they did.

Also... having the pre-aneasthetic bloods is viatl - as it wouls show up any issues that could cause problems.

Talk to your vet and they will be more thatn happy I;m sure to go through your concerns with you

Good luck - sure all will go well and your boy will do well :dunce:

Our 12 year old stafford just had a toe removed due to cancer (he has MCT)...

I am sure there are a couple of different types of anaesthetic - I request that the better one (which is moderately more expensive than the other) be used because he wakes up so much quicker and better from it - no real grogginess and is usually back to normal within hours, not days...

Best of luck - it is always hard to make these decisions. But if you are like me, you will trust your vet to do the best thing by the dog.

Thanks for all your responses.

I rang the vets today and had a good chat to them. They use gas to knock them out then depending on the pre blood work results gas or a mix off through the surgery. So all going well I should have a dog with numerous stitches this time tomorrow night.

I will stress and not sleep tonight but I am alot better than last night. All thanks to your support and understanding.

Will let you know how it goes. This is my boy... Zak. (thanks to TLC for the beautiful photo!)

post-18915-1245316951_thumb.jpg

Edited by Munchin

Zak looks like a gorgeous, loyal and happy chappy :rofl:.

Good luck for tomorrow, Zak and hope you recover quickly. Will be looking forward to news by this time tomorrow (or earlier) that all is well, that you are back home and that your owner is kicking back and relaxing having been relieved of her worry :eek:.

Its all good :laugh:

The vet just rang. He is awake!!!! All good. Sounds like he had heaps removed and they even found ones I didnt know about, after they shaved him. They couldnt tell me how many they cut off, they lost count. They even pulled his first tooth, not bad for 14yrs.

I can get him after work today. So I will find out how funny he looks then.

Thanks for everyone support!

Hey Munchin .... I have been out all day and came in after dark. After working my dog and then fixing dinner and answering emails, this is the first chance I've had to check in to DOL. I came straight here and am so pleased to hear that the surgery is done and that your boy is fine :rofl:. I hope you are now kicking back and relaxing as I suggested? With a glass of wine, even, perhaps ;). I bet you are so relieved. Hope he heals well and that he's back to normal in no time at all.