Shampoo

Kyra

Most of my dogs have skin problems and I'm just wondering what a good shampoo would be to use? Kyra & Tyson both get red itchy patches under their arms, Brodie gets red spots under his chin and my Shih Tzu gets a really horrible oily coat after about 2 days. :shakehead:

Any recommendations would be good & also a rough cost and place to find it.. Thanks ;)

Ive used an oatmeal based one.It comes in sham/cond.....Dermacare-Aloveen-oatmeal....its designed for itchy, dry skin...You can get from vets or pet shops....Hope this helps...ooppss price around $15 i think

Edited by ChocosMum

I think you should look at their diets more. What are you feeding them?

As far as shampoos are concerned I love Groomers EPO shampoo as well as Rufus & Coco one. ;)

I don't like Aloveen at all :rofl:

I think you should look at their diets more. What are you feeding them?

As far as shampoos are concerned I love Groomers EPO shampoo as well as Rufus & Coco one. ;)

I don't like Aloveen at all :rofl:

I couldn't agree more, great product Groomers Evening Primrose Oil Shampoo. There conditioners are great also. I never just shampoo. I always condition as well. I am a groomer. Dogs can be allergic to wheat products, this is in a lot of commercial dog foods.

Just looked at the prices and OH would never even consider that due to the cost ;)

REGULAR

500ml - $28

2.5 litre - $56

5 litre - $96

VET

500ml - $36.75

2.5 litre - $80.50

5 litre - $115

Malaseb by dermcare. :thumbsup: Use 2-3 a week on affected areas only, to save washing the whole dog, leave it on for 10 mins before rinsing, do the whole dog once a week :eek:

I would not use malaseb that often - it is quite harsh and drying.

Most of my dogs have skin problems and I'm just wondering what a good shampoo would be to use? Kyra & Tyson both get red itchy patches under their arms, Brodie gets red spots under his chin and my Shih Tzu gets a really horrible oily coat after about 2 days. :shakehead:

Any recommendations would be good & also a rough cost and place to find it.. Thanks :thumbsup:

I get mine from http://www.petnetwork.com.au which have a huge range. You my want to try one of the puppy shampoos, as they are milder. I use the Kojo brand, which cost $16 for a bottle, but is diluted to make 5 litres, so lasts for ages. There is also a rinseless shampoo which is just sprayed into the coat, which might help with the oily Shih Tzu.

I would find it strange that all the dogs are reacting to a shampoo, you may find either it is caused by something else, or it may be that the problem is that the shampoo is not being fully rinsed out. It is a good idea to dilute the shampoo & conditioner (most of the professional mixes give you a ratio to dilute) - you can buy bottles to mix them in to make the measurements easier. This makes it easier to spread the shampoo through the coat and to wash it out properly, as well as making the shampoo last a bit longer.

Also how often are they being washed, as too frequent washing can also cause irritation, and can cause the skin to produce excess oil.

Just looked at the prices and OH would never even consider that due to the cost :thumbsup:

REGULAR

500ml - $28

2.5 litre - $56

5 litre - $96

VET

500ml - $36.75

2.5 litre - $80.50

5 litre - $115

You would only need the regular and it lasts for months and months. I purchase the 2.5 litre every 6 months and I wash two pugs, usually I have extras as well, every week.

Malaseb by dermcare. :thumbsup: Use 2-3 a week on affected areas only, to save washing the whole dog, leave it on for 10 mins before rinsing, do the whole dog once a week :eek:

I would if my dog had "affected areas" :eek:

Malaseb by dermcare. :thumbsup: Use 2-3 a week on affected areas only, to save washing the whole dog, leave it on for 10 mins before rinsing, do the whole dog once a week :rofl:

Yes Malaseb is very drying. Unless the dog had mange or the like I would not be using it that often.