What Would You Do

So a breeder that is breeding with a clear x carrier would DNA test the pups prior to registering the litter?

I wouldn't - there is no point in knowing a pup is a carrier unless the purchaser is buying the pup as breeding potential. Anything I keep I will test once other testing is complete (hips are far more important than a possible carrier status).

Would the price of the carrier pup be cheaper than a clear pup?

Not for me, as Wylie said, it cost me the same to raise it whatever the status and as anything but a breeding potential, carrier status doesn't matter at all. Breeding potential it can make it harder to find a mate for (i.e. only a Clear dog) but it is still not the end of the world. Marking down a non-breeding-potential pup for being a carrier is like making a pup cheaper because it's markings aren't perfectly symmetrical - nonsense!

Understanding everything now. Plus I am in NSW. My dogs are staffords so they get tested for HC and L2HGA.

So when you guys advertise, do you just say parents DNA tested?

And if a clear x carrier is breed from, there is no chance of any of them being affected?

If the parents are clear x carrier, there is no use getting a parentage check done? Instead the new owners would get both the HC and L2HGA done?

I think by the end of this thread, I will be able to get a job on the GT Pets helpdesk! haha

You are correct Nickojoy

A pup from a carrier to clear mating can in no way be affected.

If a pup was to be used in a breeding program then yes it will need to be DNA tested for HC and L2HGA.

If it comes up a carrier then it would have to be put to a clear.

If it is clear then can be put to a clear for all clear or a carrier dependent on your experience and comfort with potentially breeding more carriers

Understanding everything now. Plus I am in NSW. My dogs are staffords so they get tested for HC and L2HGA.

So when you guys advertise, do you just say parents DNA tested?

And if a clear x carrier is breed from, there is no chance of any of them being affected?

If the parents are clear x carrier, there is no use getting a parentage check done? Instead the new owners would get both the HC and L2HGA done?

I think by the end of this thread, I will be able to get a job on the GT Pets helpdesk! haha

Hi Nickojoy-

Is HC and L2HGA recessive or dominant? Regardless, clear to carrier carries a statistical chance of a proportion of the offspring being carriers , but not affected by the condition (50% Clear, 50%Carrier) - in reality, however, such stats will vary considerably - you may get only a few carriers (or none) - or you may hit the jackpot and have all come up as carriers! Breeding carrier to carrier statistically has 25% Clear, 50% Carrier, 25% Affected (may develop disease) - although again this is not hard or fast!

We test our breed for PRA and advise prospective buyers of the status of their potential pup; my philospophy is to only breed from clear lines (for reasons I go into on my website) but others in my breed do breed from carriers, and do so responsibly (my concern is more about what could happen should any bybers manage to get into my breed - sad, but I think as time goes on, probably inevitable). When we go to import (as we hope to do in a few years) one of the criteria will be that the import is PRA clear.

I'd check the situation with your breed club, who should also be aware of the legislation in your state.

Edited by lappiemum

L2 & HC are both recessive so clear x carrier could never produce an affected, This is the same for any simple recessive gene.

Parentage check as in who's your daddy? :thumbsup: well yes, DNA proof of parentage is becoming a good thing to do, and is cheap.

Speaking only of Staffords now... if you are an ethical breeder breeding an HC or L2 carrier it is generally accepted that the breeder does DNA test to establish which pups are carriers and which are clear. Most people would say that the carrier puppies are held until they are neutered and all carrier puppies should be sold as a pet only - but if you were selling to someone you had a long on-going relationship with this might be a bit different. Personally I would never sell a carrier puppy except as a pet (neutered).

No one should buy a Stafford puppy without sighting the L2 & HC certificates for both parents.

Unethical people shouldn't be breeding, let alone with carriers.

Edited by Sandra777